5 things you can do instead of ‘checking Facebook for 5 minutes’
-You spend so much time on Facebook, you are addicted.
-I’m not! All my news are on Facebook, I’ve hidden everything else.
Stop using Facebook as an excuse for news
I’ve heard this from people in my network so often. Yet, I find it hard to believe since they don’t even read those news, they just scroll the Facebook news feed.
And let me just say, I’m not blaming you, it’s not your fault, there’s science behind Facebook addiction. There’s a book that explains how to create habit-forming products, it’s all science. The book is called Hooked by Nir Eyal, an entrepreneur and Stanford Graduate School of Business lecturer. He also goes to explain how Facebook creates habit through different triggers, you can read his interview with Business Insider.
Ok, you know it’s not your fault, now what?
Here are some things that I do on the Internet when I have 5 minutes to check Facebook.
- I have a reading list. Safari has one of the best empty states page. When you are not connected on the internet a button appears saying “Show reading list”. And it’s perfect. You store all the articles you wanna read when you have 5 minutes to check Facebook. The best thing is that you can read them offline, so you can totally disconnect from the Internet and still use your computer — wow!
- Read Medium. You can read one 5 minute text on Medium instead of checking Facebook to see a new picture of someone’s baby.
- Use apps that aggregate different news. I personally never got used to use one, but there are tones you can choose from. Feedly, Flipboard, Yahoo news digest, LinkedIn Pulse…depends what you want to read.
- Read something just for fun. Don’t read business and work-related articles only. Sometimes you really want to let your mind wonder, you don’t wanna read the latest tech news all the time (obviously, that’s why you are checking Facebook!). Here are some suggestions:
— Skip the news and updates from the Guardian and go directly to Travel section, Lifestyle or Culture. They have amazing stories https://www.theguardian.com/uk/travel
— What about ideas section from Time.com? I accidentally discovered it and it has so many random news!
— Watch something fun on YouTube or Vimeo. I like watching L2 channel and their winners and losers videos, you can check them here. They last around 3 minutes and Scott is super fun! :)
5. Do 5 minutes meditation. It doesn’t matter where you are, you can meditate anywhere. If you prefer to stay in front of your screen, try http://www.pixelthoughts.co. It’s 60 seconds meditation but you can do it over and over again.
This is how I prefer to spend the 5 minutes instead of using Facebook, try it for a few days, just try it and see how hard will it be for you. If you find it too hard not to check Facebook for more than an hour think about it.
Is that how you really want to spend your time?
And these are the things that you can do in front of your computer/ mobile phone. I don’t even wanna start writing about how more often you should go out and take walks.
I would love to hear some of your ideas on what to do in 5 minutes instead of checking Facebook?