7 Easy Exercise to keep your eyes healthy
Our eyes need regular exercise in order to keep them healthy, just like any other muscle in the body. The thing is, we take it for granted that our eyes will eventually give up on us and we will eventually need glasses or contact lenses. This doesn't have to be the case if you regularly exercise your eyes.
Practicing these eye exercises regularly for a few months can go a long way in facilitating the normal functioning of our eyes.
Note: Before starting these exercises, it is always recommended to splash your eyes with cold water a few times. Remember to keep the head and spine straight throughout the exercises.
- Palming : Rub your hands together until they feel warm. Close your eyes and cover them lightly with your cupped palms. Avoid applying pressure to your eyeballs. Take deep breaths slowly and evenly while thinking of some happy incident, or visualize a distant scene. After you see nothing but blackness, remove your palms from your eyes. Repeat the palming for 3 minutes or more.
- Blinking: Sit comfortably with your eyes open. Blink around 10 times very quickly. Close your eyes and relax for 20 seconds. Slowly take your attention to your breath.Repeat this exercise about 5 times.
- Figure of eight : This is to exercise your eye muscles and increase their flexibility. This is quite a simple exercise but a good one.Imagine a giant figure of eight in front of you about 10 feet in front of you. Now turn the 8 on its side. Now trace the figure of eight with your eyes, slowly. Do it one way for a few minutes and then do it the other way for a few minutes. It may seem very alien at first but it’s worth persevering with it.
- Near and far focusing :Sit in a comfortable position, or stand, this will only take 2–3 minutes at a time.Put your thumb about 10 inches in front of you and focus on it.Now focus on something else about 10–20 feet in front of you.On each deep breath switch between focusing on your thumb and the 10–20 feet object in front of you. This will strengthen the muscles in your eyes over time and improve your vision overall.
- Massage your eyes.
- Hot and Cold Compress: Soak one towel in hot water, and the other in cold. Take one and lightly press it to your face, focusing on your eyebrows, closed eyelids, and cheeks. Alternate between the two as desired, making sure to end with a cold compress.
- Eyelid Massage: Close your eyes and massage them with circular movements of your fingers for 1–2 minutes. Make sure you press very lightly and have washed your hands to avoid damaging your eyes.
6. Lightly press three fingers of each hand against your upper eyelids. Hold them there for 1-2 seconds, then release. Repeat 5 times.
7. Sit and Relax : Roll your eyes clockwise, then counter-clockwise. Repeat 5 times, blinking in between each time.
After completing all the above exercises, lie down for a few minutes and relax yourself completely. Breathe gently and normally, and do not resist any thoughts or sensations during the exercise.