50 States & 50 Foods ~ Minnesota Brown Sugar Blueberry Muffin Tops
We are bringing a new dish every day for every state. Today we are celebrating Minnesota with Minnesota Brown Sugar Blueberry Muffin Tops.
See what your states’s recipe is by searching #50Foods
Everyone knows it: the best part of the muffin is the top. This recipe proves it.
Why Try? These muffin tops are out of this world. Everyone will be asking for seconds.
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen) tossed in 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 beaten egg
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Zest of one lemon
Topping for Muffins:
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (1/2 stick), diced
Foodie Byte: Toss the blueberries in flour to keep them from sinking. Yields: 12 muffin tops
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix egg, light brown sugar and milk. Add in melted butter and lemon zest.
- Mix together flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, combine wet and dry ingredients quickly.
- Toss blueberries with 2 tablespoons flour and fold into batter. Spoon batter into muffin top pan.
- For the topping — Combine the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the butter and pulse 10 to 12 times until the mixture is crumbly. Pour into a bowl and rub it with your fingers until it starts holding together. Sprinkle evenly over muffin tops.
- Bake approximately 12 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Loosen muffins and serve hot.
Originally published at www.foodchannel.com.