50 States & 50 Foods ~ New York-Style Cheesecake
We are bringing a new dish every day for every state. Today we are celebrating New York with New York-Style Cheesecake with Orange-Grapefruit Syrup.
See what your states’s recipe is by searching #50Foods
Recipe for New York Cheesecake with Orange-Grapefruit Syrup. This New York cheesecake is a spectacular and indulgent dessert that’s topped with a tart and refreshing syrup made with vanilla bean and in-season oranges and grapefruit.
- 7 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- Butter, unsalted, softened
- Water, boiling for roasting pan
Foodie Byte: Don’t worry about the cheesecake cracking, it most always will, just cover it with the fruit as a garnish.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
CRUST DOUGH PREPARATION:
- In a medium size bowl add butter and sugar, mix on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Mix in egg yolk and vanilla. Add flour and salt; mix just until a dough forms.
- Shape dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out crust dough slightly thicker than 1/8-inch. Place the base of a 10-inch springform pan on top as a guide, then cut out the dough. Slide dough onto the base.
- Freeze dough in pan for 15 minutes.
- Transfer pan to a baking sheet. Bake for 18 minutes. Remove from oven and let crust cool.
- Leave the oven on.
- Place cream cheese in a medium size bowl and mix for 3 minutes or until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, stir together sugar and flour. Add this mixture to the cream cheese slowly mixing until smooth. Add sour cream and vanilla, mix until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until just combined.
- Butter sides of the pan. Pour cream cheese filling over the crust.
- Bake 45 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 325ºF. Continue baking for 30 minutes or until cake is golden and set but still slightly wobbly in the center. Turn oven off; leave cake in oven with door slightly open for 1 hour.
- Transfer cake pan to rack; let cool completely. Refrigerate, uncovered, at least 6 hours or overnight. Before unmolding, run a knife around edge of cake.
Originally published at www.foodchannel.com.