50 States & 50 Foods ~ Virginia Fruit Pie
We are bringing a new dish every day for every state. Today we are celebrating Virginia with Virginia Fruit Pie.
See what your states’s recipe is by searching #50Foods
One of the big trends for 2014 in general is around Midwestern foods, and when it comes to desserts that means cobblers, pies, crisps, tarts, upside down cakes, and bar cookies. Here, we’ve made a simple not-quite-from-scratch pie using a refrigerated crust, a mixture of apple and peach pie filling (because two is better than one), and topped it off with a pie bird! It’s all part of our 2014 Dessert Trends.
- Refrigerated pie dough, enough for a double crust
- 2 cans any flavor pie filling
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cheese or ice cream (optional for topping)
Foodie Byte: A pie bird is an inexpensive luxury that will alert you when your pie is done as well as keep a fruit pie from bubbling over. It serves to “vent” the steam and is a great conversation piece as well!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare pie crust according to package directions.
- Fill with pie filling, reserving any extra so as not to overfill.\
- Cover with top crust (still unbaked), cutting slits for air to escape.
- Insert Pie Bird to the middle, cutting a hole and pushing the bird down into the bottom of the pie so that its head sticks out of the middle of the pie.
- Sprinkle the top of the pie with sugar if desired.
- Bake according to package directions.
Originally published at www.foodchannel.com.