Some benefits of making improvements to a commercial building.
1. Commercial building owners and managers will invest an estimated $960 billion globally between now and 2023 on greening their existing built infrastructure.
2. LEED buildings, for example, command rents that are 17 percent higher and sales prices that are 8.5 to 25.0 percent higher than legacy buildings, according to the U.S. Green Building Council.
3. Similarly, the premium for Energy Star labeled buildings is approximately 13 percent, according to a 2011 study by Eichholtz, Kok, and Quigley.
4. builders save about $2 per square foot right away by employing basic cable infrastructure efficiencies that reduce the number of cable pathways from 9 or 10, to two or three. The leaner networks save the owner $1 per square foot per year thereafter.
5. An intelligent building could provide a benefit of $1 to $3 per square foot in reduced expenses and increases productivity, including 1 percent increased employee productivity, or 3.5 minutes per day, stemming from a more comfortable work environment.
6. Tax incentives.