Why Emotional Resilience is the New Superpower
Technology and globalization are reshaping work, but what can we do about it? What approaches should we take as organizations do more with fewer employees? How can we think about our careers as we hold more jobs over the course of our lives, often from different fields? What skills do we need and what mindsets should we hold?
Farai Chideya, author of The Episodic Career: How to Thrive at Work in the Age of Disruption, helps us answer these questions. Through her research, reporting, and work experience, she offers insights into what has changed and what we can do. Farai is a Distinguished Writer in Residence at New York Universitys Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute, an award-winning author, journalist, professor, and she frequently appears on public radio and cable television, speaking about race, politics, and culture.
In this episode, we talk about:
- The most important step you can take before starting a job search
- Counterintuitive ways to find local jobs and to use your social network
- How a learning mindset can ensure greater career success
- Why emotional resilience is the new superpower
- The upside of an episodic career
- Why a tech-informed mindset is a must-have no matter your job
Farai also shares her curiosity about American life and the American dream and how a changing world of work is influencing these things. She wonders how new technologies will change how we live.
Selected Links to Topics Mentioned