1. History and about Offroad Side By Side Vehicles
- Recreational vehicles require heads-up driving. A relatively new classification of ATV, also called Recreational Off-highway vehicles or side-by-side, with four-wheelers and car-like controls, a cargo bed and an occupant protective structure, is poised to grow much more popular.
- A rugged and rough adventure, while riding through the wild and sunny environment that involves navigating vehicles on dirt tracks, mountain paths or desert trails. The side by side off road vehicle is pursued on terrains such as sand, gravel, snow, mud, rock, grasslands, riverbeds and other different natural terrains.
- Off-roading is done in all-terrain-vehicles (ATVs), both four-and two-wheel, like 4x4’s, jeeps, snowmobiles, dirt bikes, quad bikes, rock crawlers and sand rails. This is a sport that is all burning rubber and all action!
- Created and designed by a Frenchman by the name of Adolphe Kegresse, during the employ of Czar Nicholas II of Russia in the 1900s and 1910s. Off-roading as an adventure pursuit can trace its origins from the popularity of jeeps among Americans. These super-sturdy vehicles incorporate the often muscular thrills of no-holds-barred off-roading, and with the Americans military making accessible to civilians its many jeeps leftover, they further took off-roading as a recreational pastime with a passion.
- Off-roading events are legendary. The most popular known one being the Dakar Rally and the Baja 1000 amongst every adventure sports. These two events are the test of both navigational expertise and vehicle resilience.
2. Top most popular side by side offroad vehicle
You need to have an understanding of the type of vehicle you get into before you start your trip to an adventurous road. Offroad vehicles come in different type, with every type presenting itself in its own fascinating sight.
Given below are some types of side by side offroad vehicles :
- Polaris RZR XP (2 & 4) 1000
When it comes to recreational vehicles, this sort of offroad vehicle has defined to be the most amused one in the market.
- 4 Seat Quad — Can-Am Commander MAX DPS 800
Can-Am is a versatile side-by-side equipped with Tri-Mode Dynamic Power Steering (DPS) for the control when tackling off-road routes everywhere — and bring along 3 passengers.
- New Yamaha YXZ 1000
Special edition yellow, RideNow surprise comes with a UTV segment first, 5-speed transmission with sequential shifting.
- Polaris RZR 4 900 EPS
The little brother to the RZR XP model takes the 4th spot in our list, mostly cause of their price and not so aggressive power and suspension.
- Honda 1000–5 Deluxe in White.
RideNow Powersports, Goodyear, AZ5 has everything that you will need when it comes to multi-purpose UTV’s.
- Polaris Ranger CREW XP 900–6
Bronze Gold, RideNow Apache Junction6 is available in both 5 and 6 seat designs with all of the features, you could ever imagine it to be with.
- Can-Am Maverick X3
Turbo Gold, RideNow Peoria, AZ7 is the highest ever performance UTV released by Can-Am till date. It is destined to make the Polaris look at Can-Am’s a little longer.
- Polaris Ranger XP 900
Longest running UTV segment improves every year with its latest model editions, with a variety of different configurations with 3–6 seats.
- Yamaha Viking VI
A vehicle specially designed for hunting and fall harvest seasons. They are the toughest and the most hardworking utility-based vehicles which are fun to ride on.
- Polaris General 1000
A cross between a Ranger and the RZR blend. The suspension travel is over 13 in the back and 12.25 in the front, giving it enough rough confidence on the trail.
3. Danger to be avoided during your ride
Besides all the happening reasons to choose this sort of vehicle for your off-road experience, they also come with their own sets of tragedies. They cause twice as many injuries as their traditional ATV counterparts. To help you get away from it, the following consideration can help you with safety concerns.
- Rollover risk
Side by side is small off-road vehicles that accommodate not more than six people in pairs. There have certainly been concerns about their risk of rollovers, because of the way they’re built, Narrow with the top-heavy side. If you’re considering purchasing one of these, then you got to be aware of the risk of having a rollover accident with injuries that include:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injuries
- Side by Side Vehicle defects
Quick research will cause you no harm, and doing it with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) website will help you have the needed information about the same. Certain defects associated with side-by-side include:
- Overheating engines
- Fuel Leaks
- Faulty door hinges
- Braking issue
These defects can cause you the following life-long injuries :
- False sense of security
With a heavy and rugged vehicle, windshield, a steering wheel and adjacent seats, people often mislead this vehicle to be safe. Which is not right. Side-by-side vehicles lack both the stability and safety features. Do not go according to the visual similarities, it is much important to understand your abilities and experience as an ATV owner, and ride accordingly.
4. Safety tips to follow during your ride
While buying the vehicle :
- The size of the machine, if it is suitable for the size and strength of the operator.
- Stability and likelihood of rollover and crash protection.
- For Quads, the machine fitted with a Crush Protective Device (CPD) to limit death and injury.
- For side-by-side vehicles, the machine to be fitted with a ROPS and seatbelt.
- Foot plates, that protect the foot and lower leg from scary injuries.
- Speed and capacity to limit speed
- 4- wheel drive or 2- wheel drive.
Operators rider training :
- Suitable attire, that includes the need for a helmet and eye protection etc as recommended.
- Pre-operation checks
- Starting operation, cornering, braking, parking.
- Stopping quickly, swerving
- Reverse riding
- Riding strategies, that includes terrain, speeds, reading the environment
- Riding different terrains, that includes inclines, mud and water.
- Loading and towing restrictions.
- Riding over obstacles
- Impact of fatigue, alcohol and other drugs.
Besides the above-given guide, a rider should also consider the following safety rules for a safer trip.
- Wear proper safety gear
- Stay off public roads
- Choose an ROV that is right for your age and size
- Ride on designated trails, at a safe speed.
Having a safe yet very adventurous trip, with the help of your guide is much better than being foolish and running away from your own safety. Enjoy the Off-road vehicle adventures, which is a breathtaking panoramic excitement, with a view of the beautiful and sunny nature, giving you multiple opportunities for enjoying the views and taking pictures.