6 reasons you should apply for Demo Day
Boston has a keen eye for talent.
Whether it’s finding the world’s brightest students to attend our universities, the best doctors to staff our hospitals or picking the greatest quarterback of all time as a 199th draft pick, this region has a knack for identifying world-class potential.
This year at HUBweek Demo Day, presented by Bank of America, we’ll be highlighting the best of Boston’s startups across more than a dozen different industries. By selecting talented companies from the area’s universities, accelerators and incubators and bringing them all to one place, HUBweek Demo Day will display a cross-section of the best of Greater Boston’s startup ingenuity.
Startup applications will be vetted and judged by a panel of Boston startup leaders and stakeholders. One hundred companies will be selected to showcase in front of thousands of attendees at the HUBweek festival site on Saturday, October 14 and promoted as a “HUBweek Demo Day Semi-Finalist” across HUBweek’s platforms. Thirty two of those companies will then be chosen to compete in the HUBweek Demo Day pitch competition.
So why should you apply?
- Media Exposure. In addition to having The Boston Globe as a founding partner, HUBweek attracts both local and national media attention. Outlets including WBUR, BostInno, STAT News, Fast Company, and Gigaom have covered past HUBweek events and Demo Day is a pillar of HUBweek 2017. Having your company represented at HUBweek gives you the opportunity to access the press and key influencers to tell your story. Notably, we also will be promoting participating startups throughout the HUBweek platform and our Partner Network.
- Investor Access. Demo Day is a prime opportunity to meet potential investors. Local and national venture capitalists and investors will be participating in Demo Day as judges and speakers. At last year’s HUBweek, investors and leaders like Diane Hessan, Desh Deshpande and Jeff Bussgang served as judges for the Demo Day finale, hearing startups’ pitches and learning more about their businesses. This is a chance to build relationships and identify possible investors for your company.
- Recruiting. Thousands of students and professionals will attend HUBweek Demo Day, many of whom will be looking for jobs at local startups. If your staff is growing, this is a prime opportunity to meet prospective employees and tell them why they should join your team.
- Connect with the Boston Startup Community. The right connection, introduction or mentor can often be critical to a business’ success. At HUBweek Demo Day, we’ll be curating a number of opportunities for you to meet and connect with hundreds of other leaders in Boston’s startup community. Specifically, the 2017 Demo Day Advisory Council will be reviewing each applicant and includes Autodesk, Bank of America, the CIC, Harvard i-lab, Microsoft, MIT, MassChallenge, MassRobotics, NEVCA, Timothy Smith Network, and the Venture Cafe Foundation. Participating startups will span over a dozen industry categories, and this is a chance to break out of your normal circles and network with founders, investors and stakeholders you don’t typically meet.
- Being Part of Something Bigger. HUBweek celebrates that the future is being built right here in Boston, and brings together the most impactful minds in arts, science and technology. As a HUBweek participant, your company and your ideas will share an audience with names like Malcolm Gladwell, Atul Gawande, and George Church. Not only will you be recognized by HUBweek and its founders, The Boston Globe, Harvard, Massachusetts General Hospital, and MIT as one of the most impactful startups in Boston, but as a pioneer in your industry.
- Awards. Last year’s Demo Day winner Antera Therapeutics walked away with $10,000 in cash, a one-year membership to the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, a one year membership to Zipcar and $500 in driving credit, tickets to the 2016 MassChallenge Awards Ceremony, and other in-kind benefits accelerate their groundbreaking work. This year HUBweek will again be awarding tens of thousands of dollars in cash and in-kind benefits to Demo Day’s top companies. Much more to be announced here soon.
Convinced? Apply to be a part of HUBweek’s 2017 Demo Day here.