Opening the Doors to Innovation in Greater Boston
A series of events taking place this Oct. 8–9 during HUBweek
HUBweek is all about bringing together creative and inventive minds from across disciplines, and throwing the doors open to the innovation economy in the Boston area. That’s why we got pretty literal with the concept this year. This October 8th-9th, we’ll host a series of events called: HUBweek Open Doors (formerly known as Spoke Events).
Hosted in collaboration with some of the area’s most creative and innovative organizations, Open Doors events are designed to give you a behind-the-scenes look at the innovation happening across the city in the spaces where it’s taking place. With almost 60 events covering a range of topics and experiences (think drone zoo, VR demos, public art, and lab tours) this year’s Open Doors sessions are as diverse as the organizations who are hosting ’em. Oh, and did we mention they’re free?
A few fun facts about the HUBweek 2018 Open Doors lineup:
- The first round of events released are being hosted by 48 organizations, from labs and fashion brands to co-working spaces and museums.
- Taking place in 11 neighborhoods, it’s a pretty safe bet that you’ll stumble upon an Open Doors event on your block.
- Open Doors events will feature more than 55 thought leaders (with more being announced soon!). Don’t miss your chance to connect with and learn from startup founders, professors, artists, researchers, and more.
With dozens of events to choose from, it can be tough to narrow down which ones to attend. We’ve highlighted a few here to show the breadth of experiences, but we definitely encourage you to check out the full schedule.
- It’s back! Explore the unique features of Boston Harbor and learn about marine science technologies from UMass Boston faculty experts on the fan-favorite Boston Harbor Environmental Science Cruise.
- Explore artist Fujiko Nakaya’s shape-shifting, awe-inspiring pure water fog sculptures “in conversation with nature” at Fog x FLO: Fujiko Nakaya on the Emerald Necklace.
- See science stars from Boston Public Schools present their scientific research in front of a live audience and panel of celebrity judges from WBUR and STAT at The Art of Talking Science: Students Take the Stage.
- Join leaders from UMass Boston, Massachusetts Life Sciences Center, Hack.Diversity, and the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce for a discussion about Diversifying the Innovation Economy Pipeline.
- Kick off HUBweek with a cocktail soirée full of networking, mingling, and complimentary food and drink before embarking on a full schedule of HUBweek programs at the WeWork Happy Hour.
- Be a part of the first in a series of community conversations about trust and inclusion in the era of precision medicine at Making “All of Us” Work for All of Us: Diversity in Precision Medicine.
- Get up close with drones (bio-inspired, micro, and more) from Switzerland at Aerial Futures: The Drone Frontier.
And the most exciting part? Registration has begun for Open Doors events! To build out your schedule, visit hubweek.org to sign up for a free General Admission Pass. Then, add Open Doors events to your agenda. See you there!
HUBweek is a festival for the future that explores innovation at the intersections of art, science and technology. Founded by The Boston Globe, Harvard University, Massachusetts General Hospital, and MIT, HUBweek is a first-of-its-kind civic collaboration that brings together the most creative and inventive minds in making an impact in Boston and around the world.