Hinduphobia and Idiocy in the Time of Diwali
A short list of corporations and public figures who tweeted asking people to celebrate Diwali without crackers, ignoring both the miniscule effect on pollution that Diwali has and also their silence on the environmental effects such firecrackers have when burst at weddings, New Year’s Eve, and other celebrations.
Dr. Harsh Vardhan (@drharshvardhan)
- Screenshot courtesy https://twitter.com/GreatHeretic
Honeywell India (@Honeywell_India)
- Note the option to tweet with the hashtag #NoFireCrackers
- Agarbattis, or incense sticks, as one of the causes of pollution. The link with Diwali, and therefore Hinduism, clear and unmistakable.
Penguin India (@PenguinIndia)
- Penguin, of David Davidhar fame.
- David Davidar settles sexual harassment suit out of court — NATIONAL — The Hindu
- Penguin icon fired for molestation
- Davidar forced to quit Penguin over sexual harassment charges — The Economic Times
Peta India (@PetaIndia) on Diwali
Peta on Eid
PETA’s Reality When It Comes To Animals
In 2014, according to its own records, it took in 3,017 animals, about 1 percent of the total number brought to private Virginia shelters. Of those, PETA euthanized 2,455, or 81 percent. In some prior years, that rate has risen above 90 percent. [Washington Post, March 2015]