Why Can’t I Lose Weight? Top 6 Causes of Weight Gain
Approximately 69% of adults are overweight or obese, with more than 78 million adult Americans considered obese.
(Source: National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys (NHANES) (2009–2010)
Do you feel like you can’t lose weight no matter what you do? Are you eating well and exercising, yet still have an extra 30 pounds that you can’t shake? Do you continually ask yourself, “Why can’t I lose weight”? Is being overweight keeping you from enjoying your life, whether it’s planning a vacation, attending your high school reunion or simply socializing with friends? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you don’t have to just live with it. Start by understanding six common reasons that weight loss can be so difficult.
Top 6 Causes of Weight Gain
1. Hypothyroidism Hypothyroidism is a common cause of weight gain because it regulates your metabolism and energy production. With low thyroid function, your metabolism slows down, and you don’t generate as much heat or use as many calories. Excess fluid retention can often be attributed to the poor circulation caused by low thyroid function, as well.
2. Low Progesterone/Estrogen Dominance Progesterone deficiency leads to a condition called estrogen dominance which slows your metabolism and causes weight gain. Supplementing with bioidentical progesterone will balance the estrogen, thereby eliminating the estrogen dominance. Progesterone promotes the assimilation of the thyroid hormone into your cells, increasing your metabolism, and relieving fluid retention.
3. Chemicals and Toxins in the Body Chemicals and toxins can throw our hormones out of balance leading to weight gain. They disrupt the hormones that regulate your metabolism. Toxins are everywhere in our food and environment and it is impossible to avoid them, so it is important to detoxify your body in order to stay healthy and maintain an ideal body weight.
4. Candida Candida, or yeast overgrowth, can cause bloating and weight gain. Yeast feeds on sugar and can overgrow in the large intestine, displacing the normal healthy bacteria of the gut. It is important to avoid sugar and do a candida-free diet to eliminate the yeast.
5. Unhealthy Diet and Inactive Lifestyle It’s well known that fast food is not healthy for you and will easily add those extra pounds to your waistline. Fast food is high in fat, sugar and calories, as well as chemical preservatives. Regular physical activity will help you maintain your ideal body weight by burning off calories for energy. Set a goal to exercise several times a week. Great cardio workouts include walking, jogging, cycling, aerobics, basketball, tennis, dancing, and swimming.
6. Pharmaceutical Drugs Many pharmaceutical drugs, such as antidepressants, can cause weight gain as a side effect.
Common Symptoms of Hormonal Imbalance So how do you know if hormonal imbalance is causing your weight gain? These are other common symptoms of hormonal imbalance:
-difficulty getting a good night’s sleep -fatigue -headaches -difficulty concentrating -depression -irritable moods -hair loss -menstrual irregularities -hot flashes -muscle and joint pain -mood swings -hot flashes -night sweats -anxiety
To find out if you have symptoms of a hormone deficiency, hypothyroidism or candida, take our symptom checker quiz.
Natural Solutions for Weight Loss -Balance and replenish your hormones and thyroid with bioidentical hormones -Eat a healthy diet of organic fruits and vegetables -Get up and move — even a brisk walk help boost your metabolism -Detoxify your body of chemicals and toxins -Detoxify your body of yeast through a candida-free diet -Avoid pharmaceutical drugs if possible — they are also toxins
Find out if Hormonal Decline is the Cause of Your Weight Gain When people wonder why they are putting on so many extra pounds, they typically don’t think about a decline in hormones being the culprit. However, hormonal decline is a common cause of weight gain. Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy can restore your energy and metabolism by giving the body back what it’s missing.
You really can find the key to your weight loss and shed those extra pounds naturally. Don’t wait another day to start living your life again.
Still have questions about what might be causing your weight gain? Leave us a comment below and we will do our best to help.
Originally published at www.hotzehwc.com on June 2, 2015.