Response to Designed Objects
As Drescher states, a book can be considered the collection of old and new works that are linked into one platform, where all the diverse perspectives from scholars and our history can be accessed(Drescher, 2010). A distinguishable trait of a book is that it contains page numbers, a table of contents which enabled efficient navigation through the book to find the information you need in a matter of flipping a single page(Houston, 2016). Books are unique because it is the predecessor of a scroll, and it brings the physicality that ebooks and tablets cannot provide.
I believe the most important necessary element that help lead the innovation of the book today is: “The capacity of integrating a new form into existing informations and systems”(Kilgour, 5). I believe that the evolution of books has reached it’s potential where, books are now easily accessible with the help of ebooks. To evolve further, it is necessary to find new forms in which, the existing information can still be delivered while giving the readers a new experience.
- Big words on the very front and on the side.
- Unlike the front, lots of words on the back side.
- Contains numbering on the edges of each pieces of paper.
- Once in awhile, the font gets bigger than usual.
- Bigger fonts are followed by a number alluding to change.
- Words with slightly bigger fonts on top of each paper
- Also has the same pictures on the edge where the numbers are located.
- Some pages contains more words than others.
- each individual paper is the same color as previous except for the very front and very back
- Random bolding of words in random areas of the pages
- The front and back papers are significantly thicker than any other pages.
- Couple pages in the front have smaller fonts than usual.
- Some pages contains pictures of some sort.
- Only the front and back is colored (sky blue color)
- There is a rectangular box with black lines of various sizes on the back
- Sometimes, other symbols such as arrows are used in the pages
- Various fonts and font sizes used on the very back side
- On specific pages, the beginning starts off with big fonts followed by smaller fonts
- every page is the same length in terms of the length of the paper.
- Has someone’s name on the front, side, and back.
Drescher, Elizabeth. “Medieval Multitasking: Did We Ever Focus?” Religion Dispatches. N.p., 15 July 2010. Web. 25 Jan. 2017.
Houston, Keith. “BBC — Culture — The mysterious ancient origins of the book.” BBC News. BBC, 22 Aug. 2016. Web. 25 Jan. 2017.
Kilgour, Frederick G. The evolution of the book. New York: Oxford U Press, 1998. Web. 25 Jan. 2017.