6 Unbelievably Simple Tips To Remove Stains & Keep Your Rug Dirt-free
A beautiful rug can make a living space look exceptionally gorgeous. But what makes it more inviting is a spic and span look. Learn how to keep your carpet clean and healthy in few easy steps.
Area rugs are a fun and easy way to glamourize a living space. They come in every shade and hue imaginable, shapes, sizes, designs and patterns. It can easily inject a personality into any space and pull together different elements in a melodious harmony.
But to prolong its life, it is very important to clean it regularly. Our short and handy guide will introduce you to various kinds of area rugs and different approaches to keep them healthy and dirt-free.
Basic Rug Care
Although there are plenty of choices, most of us prefer to have basic carpets with minimalist style and lot of functionality in our home. Due to regular foot traffic and usage it began to lose its sheen and appeal quickly. Therefore, clean you carpet weekly or regularly if possible in the following simple steps.
- Large-area rugs- Large area rug obviously needs little more effort in order to keep it clean due to its size. The most important thing that you can do for them is to vacuum them regularly. If a rug is reversible, vacuum both sides. This will eradicate any accumulated grit and grime that can wear your carpet prematurely. Take care to not to vacuum the fringe of the carpet.
2. Remove Pet hair- Having pets in your home is a blessing but when it comes to cleaning your home, it can turn out to be a little messy. Where a vacuum cleaner will remove the dirt, they can leave the pet hair behind sometimes. Use a brush with stiff bristles to remove the hair, brushing in the direction of the nap of the rug.
3. Turn Rugs Every Year- — If you have a reversible rug in your home, turn it once or twice a year as it will save it from getting damaged due to heavy footfall and sunlight.
4. Shake small area rugs- If you have a small area rug, you can simple take it out in the balcony and shake it or beat it with the help of a wiper or a stick. This step will remove all the dirt and grit.
5. Woven or woolen rug- Special woven or woolen rugs need special care because they are more delicate in nature. Always read their washing labels and check rugs for stitching breaks before and after cleaning. Wash them in a cool and gentle cycle, rinse it thoroughly. Tumble dry on a low setting.
6. Fur or sheepskin rugs- Shake unscented talcum powder on the fur or sheepskin rugs and leave for several hours. Brush talcum powder through the hair and then shake it out. Depending on the length of the rug, repeat the process.
How to remove stains?
Time is of the great essence when it comes to removing stains from a rug. Remember to-blot-not rub the stain after removing moisture from the spills can win half of the war against the stains.
- Alcohol & soft drinks- Mix 1 teaspoon of liquid detergent and ¼ teaspoon of white vinegar in 1 quart of warm water. Apply this solution on the stain, rinse and blot dry.
2. Coffee & Tea- Apply the same solution of liquid detergent, vinegar and warm water on the stain and let it dry.
3. Gum- Chewing is the most difficult substance to remove from the carpet. Put few ice cubes in a plastic bag and rub it over the gum. Then scrape the gum, it will come out smoothly.
Although bringing food near to area rug should be completely avoided, but when there are kids and friends at home, it becomes difficult to do that. So take proper care of the rug daily or weekly to keep it bacteria-free and dirt-free by following the above mentioned useful tips and hacks. To know more about rug care, follow us on twitter — @idus_furniture or visit us at www.idus.in .