Dialogue with your unconscious

Enrico, CC BY-SA 2.0

(by Carina Toma)

How does your unconscious affect your life?

Most psychologists, including Freud, define the unconscious mind as the place where we store information that we cannot access. It consists of childhood memories, experiences, instinctual wishes that can drive our behavior and form our personality.

Many studies have shown that 95% of the time we only use the unconscious, leaving 5% for the conscious.

Because of the presence and high speed of the unconscious (40 million bits of data per second), we are able to perform multiple tasks at the same time.

I have always been fascinated at how our mind never stops processing thoughts and emotions. How it always keeps on going even when we are asleep. The act of dreaming is so powerful that it sometimes reflects our deepest fears, fantasies, wishes, or instincts which we aren’t even aware of, which are somehow hidden in our unconscious.

So often, I have tried to stop myself thinking through meditation. To give my mind a break. At the beginning I thought it would be really easy, but the harder I tried not to think of anything, the greater the number of thoughts that started going through my mind.

The inner conversations that we have actually indirectly dictate to our unconscious what to do in the near future, what habits to form, what emotions to trigger in certain situations, and how to act. Negative inner dialogues will lead to negative results, and positive inner dialogues to positive results.

I remember when I had to make a presentation in front of my whole class. As I am not a comfortable public speaker, this situation created anxiety even though I felt prepared and truly believed in the information that I was going to present. A few minutes before the presentation, thoughts started to run through my mind: „What if I say something wrong? What if I forget what I have to say?

For the extended article click here, and follow us on

https://twitter.com/idealismprevail

www.facebook.com/idealismprevails/

https://www.youtube.com/c/Idealismprevails

https://www.instagram.com/idealism_prevails/

Like what you read? Give IdealismPrevails a round of applause.

From a quick cheer to a standing ovation, clap to show how much you enjoyed this story.