Threats to democracy webinar
The threats to democracy in Subsaharan Africa webinar will focus on fake news, misinformation and disinformation as a threat to democracy
Focusing on three sub-themes:
Fake news, misinformation and disinformation (and their agendas) as a threat to democracy
- Including media suppression
Internet shutdowns — internet governance
- Digital rights
- Recourse for citizens, where can civic tech come in, civil society,
- How can organisations such as civic tech organisations, civil society organisations etc band together and fight threats to democracy through technology?
Access to information
- How can Africans enjoy the full benefits of the internet especially during the pandemic?
- How technology can improve or undermine democracy depending on how it is used and who controls it.
CTIN will also be showcasing Training Day, a short film based on Paradigm Initiative’s 2019 Digital Rights in Africa report, featuring the story of a young man whose quest for work took an unexpected turn.
Our speakers are:
Pria Chetty: Regional Director of EndCode
Hlengiwe Dube: Project Coordinator: Democracy, Transparency and Digital Rights Unit
Gbenga Sesan: Executive Director of Paradigm Initiative
DATE: 25 November 2020 11:00 to 13:00