Hopper Test — My Proposals
Hopper Test is a checklist that a company must provide to have a diversity-friendly enviroment where people feel included.
The goal is to assess enviroments with a coordinated effort to be free from harassment to anyone, regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, etc.
The questions bellow are the most significant problems that are seen in Brazil (cf. the Brazilian version). This is also the first version — the test has much to improve. Please, feel free to adapt it to your country and the reality of your people :).
- Does the company have a simple Code of Conduct? Clear rules defining what is offensive and what is not recommended at the workplace, for example:
- pejoratives or derogatories comments about gender identity or sexual orientation.
- comments associating technical capacity with a gender identity or sexual orientation.
- discrimination, even if veiled, about religion, race, place of birth, social origin, etc
2. Does the company have a clear way to file complaints and address violations to the Code of Conduct?
3. Is maternity/paternity a problem for the company?
- Does the company offer paternity leave other than the required by the law? (5 days in Brazil).
- Does the company offer maternity leave for at least six months? (the law guarantees 120 days in Brazil).
4. Is hiring and promotion free from coginitive bias?
- Does the company have transparent hiring rules — with well defined goals and skills?
- Does the company have transparent rules to promotion — with well defined goals and skills?
- Does the company have transparent rules to jobs and salaries — with well defined goals and skills?
- More objective than subjective rules.
5. Does company have education projects to teach harassers to live with diversity (as an alternative to firing him/her)?