How To Make A Detoxing Breakfast Bowl With Activated Charcoal
Breakfast bowls are all about the Instagram photo. Let’s be honest. Yes, they’re nourishing. But you need to show your followers whose boss with a unique colour. You can go acai or blueberry purple, turmeric orange, spirulina green, dragonfruit pink, blue magik blue or coconut white.
But ain’t nobody doing black. At least for the time being. So get your activated charcoal game on.
Activated charcoal is a serious ingredient. It’s phenomenal for removing nasty pathogens, particularly if you ate some dodgy food last night or had too many boozy beverages. There’s nothing better. But it is so powerful that it can remove good bacteria too. It’s like a digestive resetting hurricane. So I wouldn’t recommend it if you’re knocked up. And make sure you follow it up later that day with probiotic rich foods. Sauerkraut, kimchi, kombucha, greek yoghurt etc. If you do that you’ll flush out all the rough pathogens and replace them with really good ones.
In this recipe we team up the black stuff with detoxifying lemon. And our sweetener of choice is Prana On’s coconut protein. But you could use honey, maple, dates, coconut sugar and / or vanilla bean if you don’t like powdered protein.
Burnt Coconut Lemon Sorbet Recipe
- Makes 2 servings
- Takes 4 minutes
- Frozen banana — 2
- Lemon — 1, peeled
- Activated charcoal powder — 2 teaspoons
- Coconut protein powder — 1 1/2 scoops
- Ice — 3 cups
- Coconut water — 1 cup
- Add all the ingredients to a stick blender or food processor
- Mix it until it’s creamy and smooth
- If it’s too runny then you’ll need more frozen banana and ice, and if it’s not moving at all, then add more coconut water
- Garnish with something crunchy; sugar-free granola / shredded coconut / pumpkin seeds / fresh fruit
- Take photo
- You can use a traditional blender or NutriBullet but you’ll have to stop and start repeatedly, scraping down the sides