Usability Test of Nescafe Alegria: Sprint 3
Collecting Our Data
For this week’s sprint, we were assigned to test the usability of a coffee maker that had been recently added to the kitchen of a sorority (Nescafe Alegria). We tested three users who had little to no experience with the new machine. They were asked to do three tasks: select a small sized drink, change the size to a medium and select a black coffee, and cancel the order and brew a large hot chocolate. We recorded each user by timing how long it took to complete each task, created a quantitative measurement of difficulty, and recorded the error rate.
Analyzing Our Findings
We noticed that Task 2 (changing the size of the drink and selecting a black coffee) was the most difficult to accomplish for our users. We were given feedback that the coffeemaker did not seem to have intuitive options to change the coffee size without creating the small drink first. Our users also noticed that the small digital screen on the coffee maker was difficult to look at, and select options. In the future we would make sure that the testing area only included the user and the testers, as opposed to the open kitchen where we held the experiment.
Overall Project Reflection
I found it interesting that we used data and began to research by watching other users, instead of imagining their use cases and situations ourselves. By testing three separate users, we were able to determine usability and interface errors of the machine that we would not have previously been able to decipher alone. I also liked that we were able to test a coffee maker that was recently added, so users were not completely confident initially in using the machine.