From Casual to Hardcore: 10 Ways to Know If You Are A Hardcore Gamer
Are you a hardcore gamer? This checklist will help you find out.
Casual gamers mostly play games on their smart phones like Candy Crush or Words with Friends. They might have a console at home that they use for Netflix and HBOGO and the occasional Peggle. Hardcore gamers surround their daily life with gaming culture. Hardcore gamers pay attention to gaming trends, are emotionally invested in their favorite console, and fight with each other on who is the best gamer or which console or PC reigns supreme.
Even with these two polar opposites, what makes a person a hardcore gamer? I put together a list of 10 traits, nuances, and information that only hardcore gamer know or do.
- You say AFK(Away From Keyboard) when you do not know where someone is at, as in “Where’s Joey?” “I don’t know, he’s AFK.”
- You own the same game on multiple platforms. Hardcore gamers can’t decide if they want to play Call of Duty on PlayStation or Xbox. The solution? Buy two copies and play it on both consoles!
- You think Twitch has better “programming” than network television. Hardcore gamers watch television, only the television they watch are of other gamers playing video games. Hey?! If you’re not playing video games, you might as well be watching someone else play video games!
- The employees at GameStop know you by name. Probably the one thing every hardcore gamer will never admit to.
- You drink Mountain Dew and Red Bull…..mixed together. How else do hardcore gamers stay up through the night so they can get to max level on Battlefield 4 or be the first gamers to get through a new expansion on World of Warcraft?
- You can tell the difference between 60 fps and 30 fps. Can a hardcore gamer REALLY tell the difference? Probably not, but don’t tell a hardcore gamer that.
- You can recite the Legend of Zelda timeline without a guide. This is worse than figuring out what was happening in the Matrix Trilogy.
- You know what the Konami code is. UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, B, A, B ,A, SELECT, START. Nuff’ said.
- Lag is your mortal enemy. A hardcore gamer’s poor performance on a twitch shooter is never the fault of the player. It is always lag. Lag is the delay between the action of the players and the reaction of the server or online game.
- Your Gamertag or PlayStation ID is surrounded by multiple “x” and tells other players to watch out like xxKillerMikexx or xxxNoobDestroyerxxx. These hardcore gamers enjoy trolling other players. Not all hardcore gamers use these types of online names, but those that do make for a miserable online experience.
While I was reflecting on this list, I realized more than a few of these used to apply to me, I know the Konami code, I’d rather watch Twitch, and lag always caused me problems. I used to be a hardcore gamer, but then I took an arrow to the knee.