Always Be Learning: Bob Ewing AIGA Raleigh Speaking Event Takeaways
It’s never too late to learn. It’s never too late to to continue to learn.
Always Be Learning: Bob Ewing speaking event
Hey Monkey! Design & Print, Durham, NC
May 11, 2016
Bob Ewing shared his story of how he has gotten where his is with lettering and design. Below are my takeaways from the speaking event.
- It takes practice. If you want to get better at something such as lettering, just get started and continue to work at it. In Bob’s case, he made daily sketches and shared on Instagram. People started to notice and that gave him accountability.
- Sometimes, what you make will be bad. Other days it won’t be. Accept it and keep making!
- Ask for critique from designers you admire on Instagram, Dribbble, Twitter, etc. They are real people and are used to getting such requests. For best results, ask for 100% honest feedback.
- Don’t be afraid to share process sketches.
- Don’t be afraid to make gramatical errors.
- Get value out of pro-bono work. If you’re going to do some pro-bono work, use it as an opportunity to learn something new or try something you’ve been wanting to try.