Exponentially now there’s a lot of very notable news and info stacking up about Tendermint/Cosmos, yet little continual dissemination to the Crypto community at large. For a completely under the radar project like Cosmos a lot of their noteworthy news items come in the form of little ‘micro bits’ of news and very little of that news ever makes it to the average Crypto enthusiast.
Hence I’ve done my best to keep useful resources and sources of as much as possible here. Disclaimer: I am not employed by, or affiliated in any way with, Cosmos but will be staking Atoms when they launch.
- First off, Cosmos’ official blog.
- Cosmos Developer Chat on Riot and Community Chat on Telegram
- And basic video on Cosmos.
- And beautiful roadmap.
- And of course the Whitepaper.
- Jae Kwon’s 2014 Paper on Tendermint.
- Ethan Buchman’s 2016 Thesis on Tendermint and its Byzantine Fault Tolerance.
- Cosmos’ April 2017 Fundraiser info ($16 million raised in 28 minutes, which was among the fastest during that time).
- Google Sheet I created showing ETH accounts which contributed (consolidated amounts by account shown). Overall Gini coefficient of 0.872 per this. Note: ETH overall had a Gini of 0.832 from its crowdsale. If anyone wants to create a similar breakdown by account for BTC donations (found here), that would be great.
Notable Ethereum Projects Looking to use Cosmos’ Ethermint Zone as a Scaling Solution
- FOAM Project plans on exploring it
- #ComiseGolem (Cosmos/OmiseGo/Golem) although Golem hasn’t announced anything officially yet as to using Cosmos’ Ethermint.
- Here’s Vitalik and OmiseGo stating their support of Cosmos’ Ethermint to help Ethereum with scaling.
- OmiseGo will use Cosmos zones as a way to ‘market-test’ their proof of stake system.
- 0x, as recently mentioned by Amir in their Epicenter interview at 1:14:00; and then before that by Will in a Token Daily Deep Dive. Here’s a pic:
Cosmos is Helping to Develop Ethereum’s Plasma
This seems to be completely lost by most in the Ethereum community (or, at least on r/ethereum and r/ethtrader) but the Cosmos team is playing an integral part in developing Ethereum’s Plasma.
- Plasma Implementers Call #1, including numerous Cosmos Devs (Jae, Ethan, Adrian among others)
- Plasma Implementers Call #2, including Jae and Adrian
- The beginnings of Cosmos’ Plasma repo
Notable Cosmos Mentions (and/or holders)
Cosmos and Cosmos’ Ethermint has seen a steady trickle of notable mentions from those of various backgrounds:
- Edit (new): Mike Novogratz apparently bought into Cosmos as he mentions here at a conference (26:50): https://youtu.be/Ke9gze3HSuk
- Dan Tapscott (Blockchain Research Institute) Tweeted about it here. Photo here (in case of deletion):
- Nick Tomaino (of 1confirmation) and Chris Dixon (of a16z) spoke of it in their podcast here (at about 20:50)
- Bryan Kelly (BK Capital) spoke of it on CNBC here (with an awesome 90’s internet metaphor about how it’s basically helping AOL email talk to Yahoo email) and before that appearance he mentioned ownership here.
- Ari Paul last summer in 2017 mentioned having bought into the ICO.
- Arthur Breitman of Tezos, in the CoinFund Slack (archives), said that he missed the Cosmos crowdsale because he slept in and Cosmos was the “only ICO [he] wanted to contribute to”.
Other Interesting or Notable Miscellaneous Items
- Oct. 2016 Proof of Stake Panel with Jae, Vlad, Vitalik and Dominic, moderated by Martin Koeppelmann
- Tendermint is a Founding Member of the Ethereum Enterprise Alliance (EEA)
- Cosmos is a ‘Blockchain Pioneer’ Member of the Blockchain Research Institute
- Cosmos is part of the Ethereum Community Fund (alternate link from OmiseGo)
- Cosmos is partners with Gnosis on Full Node, Europe’s largest co-working space for blockchain companies
- Full Node will feature Dev teams from FOAM, Golem, Gnosis and Lisk among many others
- May 20, 2018 edit: A very well-known and reputable U.S.-based exchange with actual USD (not USDT) deposits/withdrawal functionalities and money-transmitting licenses has told me their legal team has approved Cosmos’ Atoms for trading at genesis on their institutional OTC platform. Source: I asked them and have signed up.
Other Notable Tendermint Projects
Based on the Ecosystem page the major projects, besides Cosmos are: