Injury Time Winner Secures Burnley Win

Burnley celebrate their opening goal. Source: Burnley FC.

Despite Crystal Palace pulling two goals back, Ashley Barnes’ last-gasp winner secured a 3–2 win for Burnley at Turf Moor.

Sam Vokes and Johann Gudmundsson scored early goals to give Sean Dyche’s side a commanding lead before super-sub Connor Wickham’s goal and Christian Benteke’s penalty levelled the scores.

However, Barnes had the last say in the match with a goal in injury time to take Burnley up to 9th in the Premier League table.

Just moments into the game, Vokes gave the home team the lead from close range after pouncing on the rebound of Matt Lowton’s deflected shot.

In the 14th minute, Wilfred Zaha volleyed straight at Tom Heaton who started his team on the counter-attack. Gudmundsson broke clear and despite Mandanda getting a palm on the ball, the ball trickled into the back of the net to give the Icelandic winger his first goal for the club.

After a horror start, Alan Pardew’s side recovered and came close through Andros Townsend’s long-range effort that went just wide of the goal.

Benteke spurned a great chance just before half-time as he shot straight at Heaton from close-range.

Shortly after the restart, Vokes came close twice to scoring his fifth goal of the season. The Welsh international volleyed wide from Gudmundsson’s cross before running clear and forcing Mandanda into a great low save just moments later.

At the other end, Wickham pulled a goal back for the visitors with his first touch after coming on as a substitute. Zaha found space down the wing to play a low cross to the 23-year-old who smashed the ball into the top corner.

The goal buoyed Palace and they pressed for an equaliser and won a penalty after Lowton handled a cross. Benteke stepped up to take the penalty and the club record signing made no mistake from 12 yards to equalise for his side.

The momentum was all with the London team and they were camped in Clarets’ half before an injury time winner for the home side.

Gudmundsson led a counter-attack and crossed the ball to Barnes who scored to secure all three points for Burnley.