The Upcoming Project About “Avatar: The Last Airbender”
Update: The Kickstarter is now live!
On this day twelve years ago, many lives were changed with the premiere of the Nickelodeon hit Avatar: The Last Airbender, including mine. Since the show ended almost a decade ago, it has managed to continuously accumulate an enthusiastic and loyal fanbase. While we have received multiple comic books, The Legend of Korra, and other quality materials, what is lacking is a comprehensive breakdown of its political and social themes. Despite its popularity (it is currently rated 9.2/10 on IMDB), A:TLA does not have a single book that analyzes its content, unlike other shows, such as South Park and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
On Tuesday, March 21st, I will be launching a Kickstarter campaign to finance the writing and publication of Four Elements, Four Nations. By writing this book, I seek to: 1) Provide fans with another means of immersing themselves and studying the world of A:TLA, 2) convince those who have not yet watched it to do so, 3) and establish its significance within the academic and professional worlds.
Sections will include:
-The Costs of War
~~A woman’s place
~~Struggles with gender expectation
-Relationship with animals
~~The (Near-)Extinction of Dragons
I have written about the themes of films and television shows before, and I am thrilled to do so in book form. My past articles include:
- What ‘The Legend Of Korra’ Taught Us About Love
- What We Can Learn From Prince Zuko Of “Avatar: The Last Airbender”
- Wubba Lubba Dub Dub, a Cry from the Millennials
- Delayed Execution Echoes Tragedy of 1937 Film
- “Avatar: The Last Airbender” — “The Promise” analysis
- Red Lotus = anarchists of “Korra”
- “Long Live the Queen” — Red Lotus and anarchism
If you contribute, there are many reward levels you will be able to choose from. Each level includes the rewards of the previous levels (e.g. $20 pledges will receive the rewards for the $1 and $10 levels).
- $1 Prisoner of War — Even if you can’t contribute much, you can get more than a “virtual high-five” (actually those go for $5) — you can still access updates that will only be available for backers. These updates will consist of excerpts from what I am writing, and what’s going down.
- $10 Refugee — I will publicly thank you or your A:TLA fan page on FTTI’s Facebook page multiple times — per individual and as a group throughout the project.
- $20 Peasant — You or your A:TLA fan page will be mentioned in the Acknowledgements section of the book.
- $25 Warrior — You will get access to individual and group chats with me throughout the project.
- $30 Team Avatar — If you live in or can pick up a book ranging from Seattle, WA to Vancouver, BC, you will receive a signed copy.
- $30 Aang Gang — You will receive an original A:TLA-related sketch or line drawing in the style of the header image. +$5 for shipping
- $50 Colonist — I will mail you a signed copy if you live in the United States. +$5 for shipping
- $75 Scholar — After the completion of the project, you will receive a PDF of my journal entries throughout the writing and publishing process.
- $100 Prince — You will receive one physical work of original A:TLA-related art in the style of the header image. Paints (acrylic, watercolor, gouche), markers, drawings ink, etc. — ask if you are looking for a medium not listed. Shipping only in the United States. +10 for shipping
- $100 Princess — You will receive one work of original A:TLA-related digital art in the style of the header image. This is for both US and international backers.
- $150 Earth King — You will receive two physical works of original A:TLA-related art in the style of the header image. Paints (acrylic, watercolor, gouche), markers, drawings ink, etc. — ask if you are looking for a medium not listed. Shipping only in the United States. +$10 for shipping
- $150 Fire Lord — You will receive two works of original A:TLA-related digital art in the style of the header image. This is for both US and international backers.
Quite simply, the costs of the project are going toward many aspects of completing Four Elements, Four Nations, and I have calculated this to be the minimal amount I’d need to complete this project:
- $1,600 Living costs for two months, including rent, bills, and food.
- $2,000 Editing, artist fees, publishing, and marketing.
- $100 Research. Thanks to the internet, access to information is a lot cheaper. However, I will still need to buy some books.
- $450 Kickstarter and payment processing fees.
- $350 Reward shipping and buffer funds.
I am really excited to get Four Elements, Four Nations started. If you are a part of the A:TLA community, I hope you will join me in whatever capacity to make this a reality. For updates on the project, follow Film, Television, and Theatre Intepretation’s Facebook page.
Update: Visit the Kickstarter now!
For early access and/or to sign up for email updates, visit the Four Elements, Four Nations Prefundia page.
Join the countdown to the Four Elements, Four Nations Kickstarter launch (Tuesday, March 21st) on Facebook!
Disclaimer: Neither Four Elements, Four Nations nor this campaign are associated with Viacom, Nickelodeon, or Avatar: The Last Airbender.