Nonfat or Sugar-Free Yogurt: Which is better for weight loss?
How exactly does yogurt help the weight loss?
Calcium in dairy products can be effectively helpful when considering weight loss. A three-month controlled study has claimed that yogurt is great at helping lose fat, especially the truck fat. Given its various benefits, yogurt makes an ideal snack for weight loss.
- The thick texture of yogurt will instantly provide you with the sense of fullness in stomach. Furthermore, it is rich in protein and fat, both of which will make the feeling of fullness last longer.
- Without adding any extra ingredient, calories will reduce when milk is fermented into yogurt. The underlying reason is that the lactose in milk is partially fermented into lactic acid which has fewer calories.
- There is a certain amount of probiotics in some refrigerated yogurt. Long-time intake of them will improve the intestinal environment, making it easier to shed fat.
Although the inherent properties of yogurt itself are great, the contents of fat and sugar may change after it is processed and flavored. Among all varieties, the yogurt added with fruit has a high sugar content, and the cheese yogurt has considerable contents of both sugar and fat. Both of them are varieties that you should stay away from if you are trying to lose weight.
Well, what about the sugar-free and nonfat ones? Are they as healthy as they sound? And which one is better to eat?
Nonfat Yogurt or Sugar-Free Yogurt?
Let’s get straight to the point and check out the pros and cons of the two.
Sugar-free yogurt, as its name implies, is the one that doesn’t contain refined sugar such as sucrose or honey. Most of the commercially available sugar-free yogurt can be divided into two categories: one is naturally sour and the other is sweetened with sugar substitutes. Let’s take a look at the difference between them:
- For yogurt with no sweetener added, protein and fat contents, as well as the corresponding calories, could be potentially high. It’s not quite advantageous in terms of energy compared with the plain yogurt. However, they are usually rich in protein and fat which will be able to provide a strong sense of fullness.
- For yogurt flavored with sugar substitutes, it is usually advantageous in terms of energy. For those who want to lose weight, both of them can be used as extra meals so as to maintain the fullness for an hour or two while supplementing the protein.
Nonfat yogurt is mostly processed from skim milk or skim milk powder. It has a very low content of fat and is extremely low in calories when no extra ingredients are added to improve the taste.
Unfortunately, since the fat is removed, some of the vitamins such as vitamin A and D that are dependent on fat will also be taken away. In addition, in the absence of fat, its texture will become much thinner. In order to make it taste better, most manufacturers tend to flavor it by adding a lot of sugar or fruit juice, which will definitely compromise your weight loss. In the end, when fat is removed and no extra protein is added, you may not feel full after eating it. Therefore some people may continue to look for more food, which makes the gain outweighs the loss.
Therefore, the preferable choice chain will be:
Sugar-Free Nonfat Sport Yogurt > Sugar-Free Yogurt > Plain Yogurt > High-Sugar Nonfat Yogurt
The sugar-free nonfat sport yogurt is the best. This type of yogurt is specially designed for trainers. It is low in calorie, fat and carbohydrate. And it is slightly high in protein, which makes it the best option for those who want to lose weight. Nevertheless, this type of yogurt only serves a niche market and is a little expensive. Just buy it when you really need it. If you do not have access to it, the sugar-free yogurt is also an excellent choice. It’s low in calories and sugar content while offering almost all the nutrients found in milk, which will help you lose weight fast.
Eat Like This
If you buy the sugar-free yogurt that tastes naturally sour or you even make it yourself at home, the following recipes could improve its taste:
- Use it as a salad dressing or dipping sauce and add it into mashed potatoes or hummus to replace oil.
- Add dried fruit, fresh fruit or cereals to reduce the sourness.
- Add some honey. But don’t go for sweetness too much as long as it doesn’t taste that sour.