A Roundup of Posts Against Autism Speaks
The following is a masterpost of items against Autism Speaks. To add any, please comment below.
- An Unholy Alliance: Autism Speaks and the Judge Rotenberg Center
- Autism Speaks: Torturing autistics for profit
Misuse of Donations and Funds
- Autism Speaks to Hurricane Victims: What, You Thought We Cared?
- I Take Back Every Nice Thing I Have Ever Said About Autism Speaks
- It has a poor Charity Navigator rating, too
- The Autism Speaks “Truth Be Told” Fund Drive
- Top Earner At Autism Speaks Paid More Than $600,000
- Autism Mother Sues Autism Speaks For Disability Discrimination
- Autism Speaks Are Work-Stealing, White-Texting Liars
- Autism Speaks Legally Threatens Autistic Adults During World Autism Day
- Mom sues Autism Speaks after job offer is rescinded because of needing child care accommodations for her autistic child
Anger From the Community
- A Mouse that Roars — Standing in Defiance of Autism Speaks
- An Autistic Speaks About Autism Speaks
- An open letter to Autism Speaks
- An Open Letter to Suzanne Wright, Co-Founder, Autism Speaks
- Autism Acceptance — Leading the Conversation
- Autism Speaks and Representation
- Autism Speaks: Are They Really That Bad?
- Autism Speaks Boycott-Pushback from Autism Speaks
- Autism Speaks Does Not Speak For Me
- Autism Speaks Does Not Speak For Us — THIS is Autism
- Autism Speaks Doesn’t Speak For Autistics
- Autism Speaks Hasn’t Really Changed Anything
- Autism Speaks Hits A New Low
- Autism Speaks isn’t Speaking for Us
- Autism Speaks Kidnaps “Policy Summit”
- Autism Speaks Should Learn When to Shut the Hell Up: I am Autism. Not.
- Autism Speaks: SHUT UP AND LISTEN
- Autism Speaks Under Pressure, Doles Out Grants
- Autistic Community Condemns Autism Speaks’ “I am Autism” Campaign
- Before You Donate to Autism Speaks (PDF)
- Co-Opting the Movement: Autism Speaks, John Elder Robison, and Complicity in Oppression
- Crisis, despair, and everything else wrong with Autism Speaks’ “Call for Action.”
- Disability Rights Community vs. Autism Speaks
- Does Autism Speaks Really Speak for me?
- Does Autism Speaks Really Speak for me? #2: Obviously Not and Today they Gave Me a New Reason Why….
- Erasure and Silencing by the Omicron Pi Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha
- Epidemic, Awareness and Us, Autistics
- Georgetown: Say No to Autism Speaks
- Groups Outraged Over Video Released By Autism Speaks
- How Autism Speaks Must Change
- I Support #BoycottAutismSpeaks
- I’m a Person, Not a Puzzle
- I’m Not A Goddamn Puzzle Piece!
- Is Autism Speaks a Hate Group?
- It’s time to listen, Autism Speaks!
- Letter to the Sponsors, Donors and Supporters of Autism Speaks
- Lies, Statistics, and Autism Speaks
- Light it up Blue? — No
- Neurobigotry at Ohio State
- Not Good Enough, Autism Speaks
- Please Don’t Support Autism Speaks
- Protesting Autism Speaks
- School Supplies Our Autistic Children Should Not Have to See
- So why is autism speaks bad? I’m confused
- The Aegis of Autism I — Peter Bell the Third
- This was too much for a tweet, so look here
- To Whom It May Concern: Open Letter to Sponsors of Autism Speaks
- When Is a Disability Not a Disability? Autism Speaks Has the Answer
- Why Autism Speaks doesn’t speak for me
- Why Autism Speaks Does Not Speak for Us
- Why Autism Speaks Hurts Us
- Why I’m going to #BoycottAutismSpeaks
- Why I am Against Autism Speaks (and you should be, too)
- Why I Am Against Autism Speaks, and Why It Matters
- Why you need to stop using the puzzle piece to represent autistic people
Anger From Parents/Families
- A View of Autism Speaks From Afar
- Addressing Criticisms of the Autism Speaks Boycott
- Advocating: Love not Fear!
- An Open Letter to Autism Speaks’ Sponsors Who are Autism Parents
- ASAN Vancouver: Protesting Autism Speaks #boycottAutismSpeaks
- Autism is Struggle, But Not Only: Why Autism Speaks Hurts Severely Disabled Autistic People the Most
- Autism Speaks: The Last Straw
- Autism Speaks Attacks Local Charity’s Fundraising Walk
- Autism Speaks does not speak for this family
- Autism Speaks Doesn’t Speak For Our Family
- Autism Speaks is not and has never been listening despite their slogan
- Autism Speaks’ Poisonous Ideas
- Autism Speaks, Your Negativity is Only Making Things Worse
- Dear Ms. Wright, Autism Speaks and any others out there who may read this…
- Doing Your Research
- Fear, Hate, and Exclusion: It’s time to silence Autism Speaks!
- Fear, Loathing, and Autism Speaks
- Living, Not Existing
- My Son is Not Lost
- No Misery: This Is Autism, Suzanne Wright
- Not on my wall… Boundaries and Entitlement
- Open Letter to the Financial Sponsors of Autism Speaks
- Speaking Out Against Autism Speaks, Even if It Means No Ice Cream
- The Appalled Voice of An Autism Mom
- What the Vulture Calls Unity: #BoycottAutismSpeaks
- What’s Wrong With Autism Speaks?
- Who does Autism Speaks speak for?
- Why don’t we support Autism Speaks?
- Why I Don’t Like Autism Speaks
- Why? Why? Why?
- Wright vs Right: Autism $peaks is Completely Wrong
Anger From Others
- 7 Reasons To Not Support Autism Speaks
- Autism Speaks–But You Don’t Have To Listen
- Boycott Autism Speaks
- Don’t Support Autism Speaks
- Sensationalism, disinformation, and Autism Speaks
- This Is the Week Autism Speaks Meets Its Downfall
- Why are so many people mad at Autism Speaks right now?
- Why Autism Speaks Doesn’t Speak For Me
- Why I don’t support Autism Speaks (which is why I don’t ‘light it up blue’)
- Why I Joined the Boycott Autism Speaks Movement, Part One
- Why I Joined the Boycott Autism Speaks Movement, Part Two
- Why Many Autistic People Don’t Like Autism Speaks
- I will not ‘Light it up Blue’
The ‘Light It Up Blue’ campaign also promotes stigma and sexism within the autism community, promoting the idea that autism is more of a masculine disease/affects boys more than girls. This is completely false and contributes to the lack of diagnoses that girls/women and non-binary people face.
Want to support Actually Autistic organizations?
- The Autistic Self Advocacy Network
- The Autism National Committee
- Autism Network International
- Autism Women’s Network
- American Association of People with Disabilities
- National Council on Independent Living
- National Youth Leadership Network
- Academic Autism Spectrum Partnership in Research and Education (AASPIRE)
- HSC Foundation
- Self Advocates Becoming Empowered