By: Morgan O’Keefe, Spring 2018 Communications and Marketing Intern
Do you find that the more you give, the happier you feel? Volunteering is something amazing that lets you make a difference in the lives of others — and that just feels good. Some of the happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others.
At Susan G. Komen Central and South Jersey, we are lucky enough to work with over 500 volunteers throughout the year to put our life-saving mission in motion every single day. They come in all sizes, shapes and colors, but their hearts are pink and their caring has no limit. That’s why we celebrate each and every one of our volunteers on National Volunteer Week, held this year from April 15, 2018 to April 21, 2018.
Sure, volunteer work can be a fun and fulfilling experience. But the real motivator is that you can see, hear and experience the impact of our volunteer family in every aspect throughout our community.
Reasons To Get Involved:
- Give back. Help people. We gain a feeling of overwhelming satisfaction when we help others- it’s hard to describe, but so easy to feel.
- Help build something bigger than yourself. Volunteering gives you the opportunity to meet people you may never have otherwise and leave a lasting impression on those around you.
- Strengthen your health. You heard that right! Studies have shown that volunteering for about two hours per week can generate measurable health benefits.
- Have fun! Volunteering is a serious commitment working towards finding a cure. However, there’s laughter and camaraderie every step of the way.
Opportunities To Get Involved:
- Race for the Cure. The largest, most successful education and fundraising event for breast cancer in the world.
- Event Support. Support in providing a Komen CSNJ presence at health fairs and community events.
- Community Advocacy Programs. Participating as a speaker on Komen’s behalf at an event or engagement.
- Administrative. Supporting the staff on miscellaneous office projects.
Whether it’s one event or a lifetime of them, your help and support do not go unnoticed. For more information on becoming a Komen CSNJ Volunteer, please visit www.komencsnj.org/getinvolved!