A Beginner’s Guide To Student Portfolios
Why Portfolio Is Important For A Student
Today’s students are the most accomplished and the most connected. Back in the day, no one needed a resume until they were out of school. Now, even middle schoolers are being asked to submit completed resumes to apply for summer programs. This is why an up to date, professional portfolio is now a necessity for students.
In fact, Sal Khan, founder of Khan Academy said this about portfolios; “Right now, transcripts have some statistics on your grades and maybe some standardized test scores. But in the future, they should include a portfolio of things you’ve created — robots you’ve built, programs you’ve written, things you’ve painted, whatever — along with what your peers and your community think of you as a leader, a communicator and an empathizer. This is already what people care about, but it hasn’t been formally recognized.”
By definition — A portfolio is a container of documents that provide evidence of someone’s knowledge, skills, and/or dispositions. (p.203) Barton & Collins (1993), Bird (1990)
A portfolio’s goal is to showcase your talents, skills, projects and recognitions. Beyond the numbers on your transcript, portfolios provide insight into your character and strengths as a person as a whole.
What should go into a Student Portfolio?
- Summary / Personal Statement
- GPA / School Grades
- Involvement in the community
Advantages Of A Digital Portfolio
- Capture the proud moments as they happen — As a busy student, it can be hard to keep track of all of your activities. Creating a digital portfolio ensures all of your accomplishments will be stored in a safe place and will not be forgotten.
- Portable — Your portfolio is right at your fingertips, on your mobile phone or laptop. It has never been easier to showcase your talents when you bump into a family member or a sports coach.
- Organized — Digital profiles allow you to format the portfolio in a way that will meet your specific needs.
- Specialize — Specialize what you present; an application for intern position is different than a portfolio for theater audition.
- You’re Under Control — Choose who you share it with
- A Massive Head-Start — With a pre-prepared digital profile, you are always ready to take on any opportunity that comes your way!
Set yourself up for success. Start building a beautiful portfolio today — for free.