Apprenticeships can help tackle skills shortages, according to Purple HR

Apprenticeships can help to tackle skills shortages, according to HR consultants at HR recruitment specialist Purple HR.

Managing directors at the Bournemouth-based company are urging businesses to consider apprenticeships as it provides them with the opportunity to train new staff.


A shortage of skills has been found to be one of the main concerns of businesses in the UK, with over 69 per cent of employers worried about locating staff that are skilled.

Purple HR’s call for businesses to take on apprentices comes after the introduction of the Apprenticeship Levy, which aims to create 3 million apprentices by 2020.

The levy will not apply to small businesses that have a salary bill of less than £3 million. Instead, they will co-invest 10 per cent of the costs for training apprentices, with the remaining 90 per cent being funded by the government, providing businesses with a more cost-effective way of recruiting and training up their staff.

Purple HR offers advice to businesses on whether apprentices are suitable for their company and also provides expert guidance on recruiting, managing and training up workers and apprentices.


Commenting on the benefits of apprenticeships, Purple HR Managing Director Mandy Fitzmaurice said: “Apprenticeships give businesses the opportunity to train new staff in skills which will benefit their company. In the long term, this can help to fill skills gaps and enable future business growth. With new government initiatives, we’ve also seen apprenticeships becoming increasingly cost effective.

To read other stories about business, accountancy, finance and entrepreneurship, visit the LSBF blog.

One clap, two clap, three clap, forty?

By clapping more or less, you can signal to us which stories really stand out.