Defeating Populism is a math problem
How to solve populist question
- Understand and comprehend the problem
- analyze the problem
- If fail, learn lesson and start again.
What people are doing
- Motivated Reasoning
- Writing bad opinion editorials
- Supporting actions that aren’t the national interest for the sake of vindication.
- Worshipping progressive parts of the country for their moral leadership without knowing why they are so progressive.
- preaching tolerance towards conservative left behind while writing snobby stuff about conservative left behind (some even advocate policies they don’t believe in for the left behind).
- Chide other liberals for not being sensitive or radical enough.
- write think tank reports on how to solve problem
- think tank report then becomes fodder for debate
- Super Pollster writes report about political future and why coalition X is better than coalition Y.
- Everybody argues over it, especially non-pollsters
- Multiple twitter threads about big impending problem. Sometimes with snark, since the tweeter is an expert. Sometimes not
- Twitter threads about those twitter threads about big impending problem
- The same arguments repeated over and over again just on different issues.
- Talk about progressive part of the country and how great their political culture is and how the people are much more moderate/progressive/moral/caring than people where you live.
- Person from progressive part of the country thanks you for your love. But offers a much more mixed picture and is heavily nuanced with too many caveats.
- You don’t listen to person from progressive part of the country because he’s part of a political faction you don’t like.
- Successful Former Politician is now offering money and resources to your defeated political movement.
- Instead of taking money, you argue over his motives.
- All this inspires an autistic community college student to write a very bad article
- He hopes this causes legitimate debate, but probably won’t be read.