Why It’s Insane That We Have Launched A Copywriting Business
And Why It Would Be Insane Not To
Reasons why we did it:
- 9 to 5 jobs make us ill. I know, I know — those entitled millenials with no work ethic! But seriously, both my partner and I suffer from depression and anxiety, and we have found that over the years, 9 to 5 office jobs have only made us feel worse. It has lead to anxiety attacks in the office bathroom, the inability to get out of our home because of imposter syndrome, and feeling suicidal from thinking that we must be a waste of space if we couldn’t even handle a normal office job.
- Because 9 to 5 makes us ill, we need a source of income. Just like everybody else does. We thought about applying for benefits (we currently have Child Benefit) but again, anxiety struck just thinking about going to the job centre and explaining ourselves. Would they give a shit that 9 to 5 jobs trigger our mental illnesses? We didn’t want to take the chance.
- We write because we have to. We write because it’s part of us, part of our general being — we couldn’t live a life without writing. Plus, both of us have always dreamt of being successful in writing in one way or the other (he is a screenwriter, I am a blogger).
- As mentioned, we have a 5 month old daughter together. We want to provide for her but mostly, we want to make our daughter proud. If we can make our own living doing something that we love, we hope she’ll be able to believe she can do the same one day, doing whatever it is she is passionate about.
Reasons why it’s insane:
- We have a 5 month old daughter. She gets very frustrated very easily and needs help with everything 24/7, you know, like all babies do.
- Those mental illnesses we have? Well they certainly don’t magically disappear, and so we are having to battle those imposter syndrome thoughts and general feelings of hopelessness/worthlessness every day. We have to sell our skill set and be positive about it — that’s a hard thing to do when anxiety and depression are just waiting to strike at any given moment.
We have a fuck load of work to do, and that’s just looking after our daughter. BUT we are so excited to get started with our copywriting business — working on it feels like a wonderful break from looking after a baby.
Anxiety, depression and self-esteem issues can go fuck themselves. THIS IS PLAN A. Having a PLAN B is not an option — we need to believe in PLAN A (and therefore, ourselves), or what is the point in even trying?
Wish us luck.
Visit our copywriting business here: www.seventeeneleven.org