Chicken & Andouille Gumbo Recipe
There are many different recipes of Gumbo, but they all are rich and loaded with fresh ingredients. Try this one, your entire family will definitely love it!
Chicken 2½ pounds
Andouille sausage 1 pound
Water 3 quarts
Flour ½ cup
Vegetable oil 2 tbsp (for cooking)
Vegetable oil ⅔ cup (for roux)
Garlic 2 cloves
Green bell pepper 2
Celery 2 stalks
Diced tomatoes 1 can
Bay leaves 2
Basil 1 tsp
Thyme 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste
- Combine water and chicken in a medium sized pot. Bring water to a boil, then simmer until chicken is tender.
- Pour off water and set aside. When chicken is cool, shred it into smaller pieces.
- Slice sausage into ¼ inch pieces.
- Combine vegetable oil and flour in a heavy Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes, stirring constantly, until it turns a dark brown color.
- To the roux, add chopped onions, celery, bell peppers and minced garlic, and saute until vegetables are tender.
- Add water; bring to a boil.
- Add chicken, diced tomatoes, and sliced sausage. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the bay leaves, thyme, basil, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Mix well and simmer uncovered for about 1½ hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve gumbo over rice.
Originally published at lifencooking.com on April 11, 2017.