How Solar Works: Simplified
Residential Solar is a very easy process, and how it works is a simple 6 step process.
(1) First, your solar panels or modules collect sunlight and converts it into DC power.
(2) The DC power then travels to the inverter where it is converted to AC power.
(3) The AC power goes to your fusebox, which allows you to use the energy to power your lights, appliances, and other electrical activities in your household.
(4) An optional step for some is storing some of the generated electricity into a battery, but these are not typically common as batteries can cost a large amount.
(5) After your power goes through your fusebox and used by your appliances, excess energy is sent to your meter which allows you to view your energy generated.
(6) The meter is attached to the grid, which allows you to sell your energy to your utility company.
This is a simplified version of how your solar system works, but helps easily demonstrate the whole process from your panels to the grid.