Miniature Gardening: All about its Types
Miniature gardens and fairy gardens represent a scenic picture comprised of accessories, furniture, structures, gnomes, etc., making it a beautiful space in your home. If you are a beginner and want to know more about miniature gardening and its types then read the article.
Types of miniature gardens
• Indoor miniature gardens: This type of garden has plants that can survive extreme conditions such as low light and indoor conditions.
• Terrarium: Terrarium is a miniature plant or garden enclosed in glass container. It can tolerate low light and high humidity.
• Pots and containers: For indoor miniature gardens, pots and containers with drainage holes help to drain out excess water from the bottom.
Place saucers or plates underneath the pot to protect surfaces from excess water draining from the container and to keep the surroundings clean.
• Outdoor miniature gardens: For outdoor miniature gardens, it is important to consider the weather zones while planting in any climate.
• Accessories made of terra cotta, wood, glass, etc., can be used in outdoor miniature gardens. Based on the materials the accessories are made of, remove the accessories from the landscape during adverse weather conditions to protect them and make sure to store them properly so that their life can be prolonged and can be used in the future.
• Landscapes: Miniature landscapes are a congregation of soil, plants and imaginative theme that are put together for creating a scene.
• For example, in case of miniature pond landscape ensure to keep it in a sunny location outdoors.
• Pots and containers: Pots or containers used for outdoor miniature gardens should have proper drainage system. Using containers made of clay which are usually porous helps in leaking out excess water.
Requirements to develop indoor and outdoor miniature gardens
• Plants: The one thing that differentiates indoor miniature garden from outdoor miniature garden is the type of plants that survive in varied conditions.
• Indoor miniature plants grow well in indoor conditions like low sunlight, etc., whereas outdoor miniature plants require heat and more sunlight.
• Plants that can survive in dry conditions can be used in indoor miniature gardens.
• Location: Location of the garden determines the life and growth of the plants. Based on the plants you choose for indoor or outdoor miniature gardens choose a location with adequate temperature and light.
• Pots and containers: Various containers made of materials like metal, glass, wood and plastic that come up different colors, sizes, shapes and styles can be used for indoor and outdoor gardens.
• Accessories: Select the right accessories by keeping the theme of the garden in mind. Ensure that the accessories used in outdoor gardens should be resistant to extreme weather conditions, corrosion and rust.
• Maintenance for the survival of miniature gardens: Maintaining the miniature garden is important for its survival. Following are a few maintenance tips for indoor and outdoor miniature gardens:
• Check the plants frequently for pest invasions.
• Potting soil with a blend of perlite, compost and other essential nutrients is preferred for containers to feed plants.
• Under watering, over watering or using too much of a fertilizer is not good for miniature plants.
• Use potting soil and drill holes into the bottom of the container for proper draining system and to keep your plants healthy.
Regardless of the type of miniature garden (indoor or outdoor) give them the care they deserve to grow.
Miniature Gardening’ offers miniature houses, accessories, fairies, garden tools & dollhouse furniture to create enchanting miniature landscapes for containers or your yard. Garden accessories at miniature-gardening.com are an exclusive collection of accessories for miniature houses. To learn more about miniature garden ideas, visit us at Miniature-gardening.com.