19 things I learned turning 19
For almost a month I have been comparing my life of a teen and slowly approaching adulthood that knocked on the door on the 5th of July. It is not about feeling older or more mature, it is certainly not about my inability to understand the concept of a grown woman. It is about achievements, responsibilities and social standards. This idea has been following me for some time: as long as every year you become a better person, the number on the Facebook calendar has very little real significance.
Here is the list of 19 things I learned turning 19:
1. There are no purely good or evil people, everyone makes mistakes. Learning to forgive might be hard, but is totally worth it.
2. It’s all about the perspective. Try to analyze problems taking in consideration different opinions and options.
3. Saying No feels good if it feels right.
4. The older you get, the harder it gets to make friends and not just acquaintances. Opening up to people is tough, but never quit trying.
5. Sleep deprivation is a struggle and you no longer can go without proper sleep for a couple of days.
6. Falling, failing and making mistakes might not be as painful as you used to feel. You learn to accept it.
7. You stops perceiving critics as your sworn enemies. You know how and when to listen.
8. You think about the future a lot more. Yeah, I mean A LOT… On good days you’re eager and excited, on bad days confused (you have more good days, so it’s alright).
9. Wasting time, efforts and resources is one of greatest nightmares.
10. The bond between you and your family gets stronger. You want to take care of them, even if it means sacrificing something for yourself. Also, your appreciate the time you spend with your parents.
11. You judge and praise yourself more often. I think it’s all just about appreciating your ups.
12. Anger and fear can be controlled.
13. The must and the want are equally important. Do what makes you happy, but try not to forget about your obligations.
14. You have things that make you happy and comfy, like listening to your favorite songs or lightening aromatic candles (yeah, I am weird).
15. You are afraid to make the same mistakes twice. At moments like this just remember the point 12.
16. You become more selective in foods, drinks, outfits. Right, you have your favorite brands and you are keen on buying these stuff.
17. Going to social gatherings is something that you like and enjoy, even if you don’t know a single person there.
18. Finally you have your style and preferences, but you still google images of outfits, latest books and movie trends.
19. You are smarter with your choices. Knowing what’s right and wrong for you makes life a lot easier.