When Do You Ask Your CPA For Tax Help?
Nicole Dieker

You only need to report and pay taxes on income that you were “in constructive receipt of” during the tax year. So if the check did not arrive until January 3rd you do not need to include it. But if you had the check on 12/31 (even if it was, for example, in your mailbox although you were on vacation) and merely did not cash it until January, you do need to include it. It’s easier to argue constructive receipt if you keep the envelope with the canceled stamps, but that’s not strictly required.

One clap, two clap, three clap, forty?

By clapping more or less, you can signal to us which stories really stand out.