While the Dennis Hughes, MD Anderson Cancer Center’s pediatric oncologist, arrest on child pornography charges (Fox News Houston published the entire criminal complaint) is currently dominating headlines, Hughes is only one of many doctors involved in the trade of child rape and torture aka child pornography.
A quick Google and Twitter search for doctors arrested on child porn charges turns up more than few cases. The search, detailed here, turned up all male doctors. Many were pediatricians — some managing prestigious medical units at children’s hospitals. They are almost entirely white. Elite, white, trusted men with access to your child. That appears to be the average pedophile profile. Indeed, according to the US Sentencing Commission, more than 85 percent of child porn convicts are white men; average age 43 years old.
Doctors Arrested on Child Porn Charges
•Rocco Martino, a 42 year old New Jersey sports & internal medicine doctor, was arrested, 29 December 2010, on child porn charges. In a deal, he plead guilty to one count of child porn possession and was sentenced, 8 May 2012, to seven years in prison. He had been free on $250,000 bail pending sentencing.
Martino was trading in “sadistic and violent” videos/images of children under 12 years old being sexually abused “sometimes violently” including “a bound and gagged 3-year-old with lewd words scrawled across her stomach.” Martino is graduate of Columbia University, Princeton University and he completed his medical residency at Brown Medical School. He is reported to have “surrendered” his physician’s license.
•Carl Koplin, a 55 year old Connecticut family doctor and Boy Scout leader, was arrested, 9 July 2010, and, in a deal, plead guilty, 29 August 2012, to one count of child porn receipt. Koplin was sentenced, 2 April 2013, to 4.25 years in prison followed by five years of supervised release and a $10,000 fine.
Koplin had 800 gigabytes of child sex abuse images/ videos - enough to fill 170 DVDs — one of the largest child sex abuse collections ever found in Connecticut. A pickup truck filled with books represents one gigabyte. 800 gigabytes is the data equivalent of 800 pickup trucks filled with videos/ images of child rape. Prior to sentencing he was placed under house arrest and $500,000 bond. He voluntarily surrendered his medical license in November 2012.
•Daniel J. O’Hern, a 64 year pediatrician, was arrested, 24 June 2014, on child porn charges and indicted, 7 August 2014, on child porn distribution and possession charges. He plead guilty, 16 April 2015, to child porn distribution and possession charges.
O’Hearn had been trading in the rape and torture of children ages 5–12 years old on internet file-sharing networks. O’Hern is due to be sentenced 21 July 2015. He has been held in custody since his arrest.
•Shelby Coleman, a 36 year old Arizona OB/GYN who worked at the Tulsa Women’s Health Care Clinic, was arrested on sexual exploitation of children charges, 28 September 2013, when he attempted to meet a child for sex. He had been sending pictures of his erect penis and a video of himself masturbating to a 16 year old boy.
Coleman had told a child that he has a Porsche and wanted to drive the boy naked in it and have anal intercourse. He was arrested at a hotel where he was waiting for the child whose parents had alerted State police. Coleman had been having sex with boys as young as 14 years old. He met local children online. He also possessed “several hundred sexually explicit pictures of children from mid-teens to age seven.”
He was charged, 30 September 2013, with using a minor to produce child pornography. He was indicted, 2 October 2013, by a federal grand jury on child porn charges and plead not guilty, 3 October 2013, at his arraignment. As of 15 June 2015, no sentencing date has been set. Coleman has been held without bond since his arrest.
•David H. Scanlan, a 38 year old pediatric oncologist fellow at Penn State Hershey’s Children’s Hospital, was investigated, July 2011, and charged, February 2014, with child porn distribution charges. In a deal, Scanlan plead guilty, 12 February 2014, to child porn distribution charges. He was sentenced, 2 September 2014, to five years in federal prison followed by 20 years supervised released ordered to pay $20,000 in restitution. Police recovered two laptops and seven external hard drives with “a lot of child pornography images.” State Police said, “When I say a lot, we’re talking a very substantial amount” with children as young as ten years old. Scanlan surrendered his medical license. He had been free, pending sentencing, under electronic monitoring in his Virgina home.
•Richard Keller, a 56 year old father of a two year old and a pediatric endocrinologist at Boston Children’s Hospital and pediatrics instructor at Harvard Medical School, was arrested, 13 September 2012, on child porn charges.
He plead guilty, November 2013, to three charges of receiving and possessing child pornography and was sentenced, 12 March 2014, to 6.5 years in federal prison followed by 5.5 years of supervised release and a $10,000 fine.
Keller had been the Medical Director at Phillips Academy for 19 years before suddenly resigning. He was receiving child sex abuse DVDs at Phillips Academy. Keller possessed over 100 DVDs of child sex abuse. The videos included sex abuse of young boys inserting food into their anuses. Keller voluntarily surrendered his medical license after his arrest.
• A 43 year old male pediatrician in Georgia, Yancy Craft, previously practicing in Memphis Tennessee, was arrested for his part in a multi-state child porn ring. The doctor, who had completed his residency at Arkansas Children’s Hospital, had more than 3,900 images of children engaged in sex acts with adults.
• Bret Dunning, a 50 year old Kentucky doctor, whose clinic was next to a school, was charged with child porn possession and suspended from practicing medicine. Police found nearly 200 pictures of the sexual abuse of children, many under the age of ten years old, on Dunning’s computer. “One of the first images was called ‘baby/sexy’, it was a jpeg. It appeared to be that of a young girl between the ages of four and five completely nude with legs spread.”
• A 38 year old doctor, Christopher Pelloski, former Director of Pediatric Radiation Oncology Program at Ohio State University, was arrested for child and agreed to have his medical license suspended indefinitely. Pelloski had downloaded, on his university computer, more than 100 images/videos of children under the age of ten being raped and abused including a 7 year old girl performing oral sex on a man. Pelloski said he had been trading in child rape and torture for six years. He was sentenced to one year in prison.
• Lonnie Joseph Parker, a Medicaid doctor in Little Rock, Arkansas, was arrested and charged with child porn in 1997. His medical license was suspended and restored in 2005. State legislators banned Medicaid payments to registered sex offenders after learning Parker had collected nearly a half-million dollars.
• Robert Dickey, a 74 year old “beloved” pediatrician in Washington DC, was arrested for graphic child porn on his office computer. The sentencing judge said, “It’s not just looking at some dirty pictures. It is pictures of kids having been abused in the worst possible way.” He was sentenced to 18 months in jail.
• A 58 year old male Florida urologist, Nicholas Franco, and father of four children, was arrested for a second time on child porn distribution charges.
• A doctor in Oklahoma, Kim Floyd, continues to practice despite his 2009 conviction for child porn videos and pictures of children around 11 years old engaged in sex acts with adults. He was only given a 5 year suspended sentence and a $500 fine.
• A former ER doctor, 50 year old Adam Lebowitz, was found guilty of child porn possession, production and attempting to coerce and entice a minor to engage in unlawful sex acts. Lebowitz sent a 15 year old boy e-mails on MySpace and sexually graphic AOL instant messages. The child reported these to his mother who contacted law enforcement. Investigators seized three computers which included videos of Lebowitz engaged in sex acts with two young boys.
• Stephen Jensen, a former physician at University of Michigan Hospital, was sentenced to three years in prison for child porn. University of Michigan officials waited six months before filing a report with university police after another resident physician had found child porn on a thumb drive in the Pediatric Emergency Department, mistakenly left behind by Dr. Jensen. He was sentenced to 36 months in jail.
• Pete Thomas, a 58 year old California podiatrist, was arrested after a computer technician found more than 1,000 images of child porn on Thomas’ work computer. Images included children from 7 years old to their early teens engaging in sex acts with other children and/or adults.
• Craig Tubbs, a 50 year old family doctor and father of two children from central Michigan, was sentenced to 46 months in prison for possession of child porn.
•Stefan Kiedrowski, a 62 year old ear, nose, and throat (ENT) doctor in Tallahassee, Florida, was arrested, 16 April 2015, and charged with 11 counts of child porn possession. Kiedrowski is free on $50,000 bond pending sentencing.
• Robert Kolimas, a 56 year old Veterans’ Affairs Medical Center doctor, was arrested for child porn after he took his computer to be repaired and computer technical found child porn on his computer.
• Hugo Alvarez, a 46 year old Chicago doctor, was arrested for child porn and temporarily stripped of his medical license. He had taken his computer to a computer store for service and technicians turned the computer over to the police when they discovered thousands of images. Alvarez had been collecting and distributing child porn since 1996 saying he would “spend hours each day watching and searching for adult and underage pornography.” Images in his possession included bestiality.
• Howard Weinblatt, a 65 year old Michigan pediatrician, was arrested for child porn when police found more than 100 pornographic pictures of children and teenagers engaged in sex acts on his home computer. The child porn was discovered after Weinblatt was caught peeping on a 12 year old neighbor girl when she was changing her clothes.
• Bruce Jacobson, a surgeon at St. Mary’s Hospital in Wisconsin, was barred from seeing patients after he was arrested for child porn possession and distribution. Dr. Jacobson said he “didn’t remember when he first began viewing child pornography or why he started” but that “’it just stuck,’ referring to the child pornography.”
•Freddy Koenig, a 69 year old retired heart surgeon in Naples Florida, was arrested, 4 June 2015, and charged with six child porn counts.
He was caught when he attempted to print child sex abuse images from his memory card at Costco. Keonig was late found dead in his home after he was released on $125,000 bail. He had stabbed himself in the chest. Koenig is originally from Peru.
• Craig Pope, a 50 year old Missouri doctor, was charged with 15 felony counts including possession of child porn, sodomy, first-degree and second-degree statutory sodomy, and incest. Dr. Pope had been sexually abusing multiple family members under age 16 since 1986.
• Barend Delport, a 55 year old British family doctor, worth noting because he took photos of his child patients during medical examinations. He plead guilty to possession of some 500,000 child sex abuse images on his computer. One investigator said it was “the worst he had ever seen.”
Dr. Lori Handrahan’s forthcoming book Child Porn Nation: America’s Hidden National Security Risk details America’s child sex abuse epidemic. Her Ph.D. is from The London School of Economics. She can be reached on Twitter @LoriHandrahan2