MForesight is Turning 2!
MForesight: Alliance for Manufacturing Foresight was born two years ago this month. As the nation’s “think-and-do-tank” focused on the future of manufacturing, the organization has made important strides in advancing understanding of emerging technologies and enhancing core elements of America’s economic competitiveness. Over the course of two years, MForesight has taken on a diverse range of intellectual challenges — from strengthening America’s supply chains to improving cybersecurity for manufacturers to envisioning the future of workforce training. The team has released six major reports with actionable recommendations, hosted two National Summits to stimulate dialog among diverse stakeholders in policy and technology, organized high-level workshops, and fostered powerful new connections in the manufacturing community.
MForesight is the only national consortium that convenes and facilitates experts to forecast and recommend action on emerging technologies. To date, the team has worked on a range of forward-looking tech issues from regenerative medicine to metamaterials. Over the past two years, the organization has been developing and disseminating intelligence on emerging technologies and manufacturing challenges while inspiring informed public policy and investment.
MForesight is building a cohesive cross-sector community that’s committed to strengthening U.S. advanced manufacturing competitiveness.
Over the first two years, MForesight has had serious impact. Here’s a glimpse of what the organization has been up to:
- The U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy began organizing the Build4Scale project in 2016 to address the manufacturing knowledge gap facing hardware entrepreneurs. MForesight’s Manufacturing 101 report was cited as a piece of evidence validating the need for action.
- The report Ensuring American Manufacturing Leadership Through Next-Generation Supply Chains, was disseminated on the Hill through a briefing in partnership with the House Manufacturing Caucus and online through strategic partners with over a thousand downloads in just the first few weeks.
- At our deep dive workshop exploring the challenges of manufacturing metamaterials, we convened industry experts from across sectors and the supply chain — who would ordinarily not have the opportunity to come together — to explore challenges and opportunities for enhancing manufacturing competitiveness.
- Our newest report, Cybersecurity for Manufacturers: Securing the Digitized and Connected Factory was recently published and 100+ people attended the report launch briefing. There was an excellent conversation with expert panelists on the topic.
This is just the beginning. MForesight is looking to a range of new or expanded initiatives:
- Tech Forecasts and deep dive reports explore the most impactful issues facing manufacturers today. Gamechanger workshops help us to forecast the “next big thing.”
- Collaborations with technical and trade associations help us enrich academic and industrial communities. By engaging the broader manufacturing community, we can identify and act on cross-cutting challenges like cybersecurity.
- Building new connections with SMEs is an important part of our work: we seek to give small manufacturers voice in national business and policy conversations.
America’s manufacturing ecosystem is getting stronger. MForesight is proud to support the growth of the country’s high-tech, high-value manufacturing resurgence. We’re grateful to our sponsors and partners and looking forward to the years to come.
Want to stay connected? Join our mailing list if you aren’t already a part of our growing community. You’ll receive our quarterly newsletters and receive updates about our initiatives.