Get thrifty at the thrift shop
Before writing this article, I was doing some online shopping (browsing is more like it). I scrolled through the New Arrivals on the Urban Outfitters website (cause I’m cool) and was again reminded that I could not, as a college student, afford even a pair of socks on sale at Urban Outfitters.
If you’re anything like me, you like shopping and developing your own personal style. Clothes are more than just clothes, they are an expression of your personality and mood.
Seeing the ridiculous prices out there in the retail world made it clear that I needed an alternative. Then I found thrifting, and my soul was saved.
If you need more convincing, here are 6 reasons why I love thrifting and why you should too:
1.SAVE MONEY! (It’s the most obvious one) In the words of the ever-wise Macklemore, “But, shucks, it was 99 cents.”
2. Sales people don’t hover. Hovering sales people who constantly ask you if you need any help is stressful. They are like this owl stalking its prey.
3. Individuality, people! You can mix and match so many different styles and explore all the wardrobe possibilities without spending your entire paycheck. You can also find lots of random options that are one of a kind.
4. No mall. While malls can be fun and have some good stores, most of the time they are crowded, expensive, and frankly scary. But at a thrift store, you can relax and browse limitless options without worrying about the hassle of malls.
5. It’s like a treasure hunt. Once I found a pair of Dutch wooden clogs for $4. Enough said.
5. There’s comfort in knowing that your money isn’t going towards corporations that engage in human rights violations and contribute to environmental disasters. Thifting offers the option to purchase clothes at a low cost to society.
So next time you are looking to do some shopping, consider going to your friendly neighborhood Goodwill. You never know what you might find.
xoxo Finance Wizard