Why We Must Stand Up for the Injustices forced upon Gurbaksh Chahal
For more than two years now, we have seen Gurbaksh Singh Chahal’s name dragged in the mud. It seems every few months there is a new charge brought against this young Punjabi.
Yet, when we visit the Facebook page of Gurbaksh Chahal or research his community services, we come to know how kind, community oriented and great Gurbaksh is!
How can a young man, who has achieved such success at the young age of 33, having built four successful companies, established relationships with the leaders of the world and contributed millions of dollars to the well being of humanity, be portrayed any different by the San Francisco media?
Has anyone ever wondered, why the victims of yellow journalism (almost always well established business people, celebrities, actors and actresses) don’t speak up in their defense? It is not that these individuals don’t have social media platforms or audiences to convey their side of the story. Perhaps, they are silenced by the legal system, and perhaps to not fuel the fire to the discussion managed by none other than the media trolls.
As a community activist, I spent hours digging up Gurbaksh’s case further, and I looked into all the recent cases that had surfaced against him. After analyzing additional facts, it has become apparent, it is Gurbaksh who is the victim here of the yellow journalism and the injustice of prejudice and racism brought upon by District Attorney, George Gascón.
Sadly, no mainstream or Indian media has ever tried to view these charges from an investigative point of view either. While I am not an investigator, analyzing these charges have definitely spawned a doubt in my mind. A doubt that is growing at an astronomical speed to question, whether Gurbaksh Chahal is indeed who the San Francisco media has made him to be, or if he is a mere victim, maliciously targeted by the District Attorney of San Francisco, George Gascón, for his own political agenda. The latter seems to be true!
Every person makes mistakes in life. Gurbaksh, too, might have made a mistake several years ago, while we don’t know exactly what happened, he was reprimanded. However, looking closer at the situation, his mistake was over-dramatized for hyped media attention, political agendas and yellow journalism. Regardless of the circumstances, no one should be tarnished for the rest of their life regardless of their political motives. Since, all of these recent charges brought against him have been falsified, let us analyze these situations one by one:
1.(April 2015) A 40 year old female employee brought a charge against Gurbaksh for getting fired on the grounds of age and gender discrimination. Her complaint was based on ‘wrongful termination’.
- This employee worked less than 6 weeks at the company.
- She didn’t report to Gurbaksh. Rather, her immediate boss, the President of the company, fired her out of their New York office. Rationale for termination: for not producing any productive work.
- In her complaint, this person cooked up vile stories of her being secretly videotaped during the interview. Ironic question: Why would an employee choose to accept work at a place if she felt uncomfortable during the interview process?
- The HR director and other employees of the company openly rebuff all of her claims, anyway. Yet, no one in the media paid much attention to these rebuffs. Why would anyone? Everyone loves a sizzling hot story, right?
- These employees had nothing to benefit other than to tell the truth about this disgruntled employee. Sadly, this woman thought she had much more to gain.
- It so happens that actually, she has a history of suing or threatening every employer she has ever worked in the past for a payday.
- Once fired, she has a history of threatening her employer to bring a ‘wrongful termination lawsuit’ if the employer doesn’t immediately settle with her.
- After getting fired, she joined forces with a Punjabi contingency lawyer.
- She hired this Punjabi media hungry attorney to just coerce money from Gurbaksh.
- This Punjabi attorney used her community connections to get herself publicized and drum enough negative press to get Gurbaksh to settle.
- This attorney pushed the limits of “extortion” to the extent a formal complaint against this attorney had to be filed to the California Bar Association.
- To further defame Gurbaksh, she had a Forbes reporter write that Gurbaksh’s company only had done $75,000 in revenue in its history and was shutting down. I don’t know how that makes sense, because when I went to the Company’s website, I saw that they have 18 offices and hundreds of employees worldwide. This seemed like just a direct attack at Gurbaksh, his business, and his employees.
- Gurbaksh fought this extortion and fought against these allegations relentlessly, regardless of the negative press he faced.
- Result: Gurbaksh will win.
Now isn’t this an irony, that no one has mentioned about Gurbaksh trying to clear his name of these vile accusations or that nobody contacted Gurbaksh to get his side of the story?
2.(Sept 2014) A young Canadian man brought charges against Gurbaksh, after getting fired. His claim? Gurbaksh threatened him! Yet, according to the company’s police report filed, this young Canadian man was fired for stealing company’s intellectual property. When he was terminated, Gurbaksh was 3,000 miles away in New York. How can a physical threat be made from long distance? Shortly after lodging his complaint, this young man ran off to Canada.
Motive: This young Canadian aided the vindictive desire of the San Francisco DA to punish Gurbaksh unjustly and managed to cut a deal to escape his own punishment.
- The DA never filed a complaint against this young Canadian for stealing the intellectual property despite the complaint made by Gurbaksh’s company. Shockingly, no charges were filed against this employee.
- Instead, the culprit coordinated with the DA to be spared of the charges so that the DA could go on a long witch-hunt against Gurbaksh, to revoke Gurbaksh’s probation.
Second Motive: He filed a civil lawsuit against Gurbaksh to coerce additional money and attempted to silence him with the threat of bad publicity. Of course, as we all know, the bad publicity card was well played here once again because he had hired the aforementioned Punjabi contingency attorney.
3.(September 2014) A young woman brings a domestic violence case against Gurbaksh, citing she was kicked after having a physical relationship with him. She went to “her husband” shortly after, to show bruises and then decided weeks later, to file a police complaint. According to the report, there were no visible injuries or bruises. The report also indicated that this woman was not cooperative in providing accurate and sufficing information to the attendee at the police station and wanted to leave quickly to avoid any questioning.
Questions to ask:
- A woman states that she has relationship with another man and then goes to her husband to complaint about mistreatment? Let’s pause and analyze this situation for a minute. Does no one find this statement a bit odd? Aren’t the motives of this woman clear?
- A documented statement on the report by the police officer states that there were no visible bruises or redness of any kind. Yet, the DA again drummed a huge press cycle against Gurbaksh with new domestic violence claims, to revoke his probation.
- It appears, during the past two years, the DA may have hired several investigators to follow Gurbaksh around the clock. Imagine yourself now living for two plus years, knowing that there is a private investigator following you everywhere you go. Good way for our tax dollars to be at work or clearly a vindictive way of the DA to emotionally torture a young entrepreneur!
- Since the incident, this woman has left the country. Yet, the DA has gone to great lengths to convince and offer her various means of incentives for a falsified testimony.
- In the last court hearing, this woman was a no-show.
4.(January, 2016) A taxi driver brought a claim against Gurbaksh for wages owed. A claim for nearly $500,000 for having worked less than a year! Isn’t this shocking?
- The case was sent to the San Francisco Department of Labor and at the last minute ‘Gurbaksh Chahal’ was also added as a defendant on top of his actual employer. Why? Because Gurbaksh has deeper pockets!
- Without any thorough investigation, the Labor office ruled that Gurbaksh has to pay $500k to a taxi driver for the said ‘claimed wages’ and his actual employer $20k.
Facts to analyze:
- This driver never worked for Gurbaksh.
- There is no documented proof that this employee was ever hired by Gurbaksh.
- No investigation was ever conducted to sort out the truth; rather, a decision was solely made on the mere statement of a Maleficent person’s intent to extort money from Gurbaksh.
- By now, obviously, a simple fact is established that anyone can go to the San Francisco DA’s office, mention Gurbaksh’s name and get his or her charges filed swiftly. No supporting proof or documents needed! Imagine that! Do we call this ‘justice’?
Questions to ask yourself:
- How many taxi drivers earn half a million dollars a year? How many taxi drivers can live for a year without being paid for a year?
- Gurbaksh lives in San Francisco. This commute is nothing more than within the city limits. San Francisco spans no more than 7 miles. At best, his lengthiest commute would involve to the San Francisco airport few times a month. Now even if, for a short period we assume this person did indeed worked for Gurbaksh, how can local driving cost $500k/year?
- Has anyone investigated if Gurbaksh used any other forms of transportation? Or that perhaps, he drives himself as well? He is known to have his own cars too. How about Uber?
- As busy as Gurbaksh is running a company, how much local taxing could a person do, to garner several hundred thousands of dollars in taxi fare?
- Is it not astonishing that this amounts to $1500 per day?
- Did anyone at the San Francisco Department of Labor division think this analytically with their common sense intact?
Gurbaksh is now fighting this case relentlessly too because he will not pay this fine and will fight it in court with facts that can’t be ignored. I have no doubt that Gurbaksh will win this falsified case too. I applaud Gurbaksh for rightfully fighting against these leeches.
I hope Gurbaksh sues the Department of Labor and the San Francisco District Attorney for wasting his time and money, let alone causing him so much emotional distress.
When ‘Gurbaksh Chahal’ name appears in the media, newspapers across the regions are quick to simply translate the story or merely copy and paste it. People have long forgotten the core of the best practices of publishing the news to present a story to their readers from an investigative journalism viewpoint. Sadly, we have forgotten the bare basics of the journalism - to publish the facts and to inform the truth!
Gurbaksh’s sad saga continues yet again.
5.(March 2016) Gurbaksh’s co-founder of his 4th company embezzled what is estimated to be well over $200k in money over the past two years.
- While Gurbaksh was in India in February, dedicating his time to community causes, helping rebuild impoverished schools, helping schools for the blind, installing libraries for schools, and installing water filters in the slums; when he returned, he was jolted by a new shock! A case of embezzlement from his own company. His employee had stolen well over $200k in funds. He attempted to report this incident to the San Francisco police department. To date, no report has been registered and no charges have been filed against this employee, AGAIN.
- The San Francisco FBI was also contacted to investigate the corporate embezzlement. They too have not responded yet to investigate the case.
- Gurbaksh emailed Governor Jerry Brown and Lt. Governor Gavin Newsom for help. No response! Isn’t it ironic that these politicians come running for the election funds, donations and votes, but disappear conveniently when we need them?
- The San Francisco Financial crimes unit has not registered a complaint despite Gurbaksh’s request yet on file. The complaint filed by Gurbaksh has been conveniently collecting dust somewhere.
- Instead of helping Gurbaksh, the DA has sheltered the culprit AGAIN.
- The DA’s motive remains clear and that is to use Gurbaksh as bait for his personal political gains. The DA wants to become the Attorney General (assuming Kamala Harris wins the Senate seat) at the expense of Gurbaksh, who is a well-known public figure. Any press he can get to vilify him, makes the DA, George Gascón seem like a hero to the people versus a hypocrite.
- The DA is now pursuing charges against Gurbaksh for harassment. His new issue is that Gurbaksh called the employee who embezzled money and asked him to return the money “or else Gurbaksh will sue this employee”, using this telephonic conversation as “potential harassment”. This way, the DA has drummed up a new scheme to discredit Gurbaksh in the media AGAIN.
- Instead, the DA’s role in this situation should be to, help Gurbaksh and prosecute actual criminals. Corporate embezzlement is a statutory criminal offense.
Now, are you surprised by these facts as much as I am? Is not it clear that Gurbaksh is being framed up until now by this DA?
You can see a consistent pattern, in my chronology above, in which this DA used each case against Gurbaksh in a vindictive manner. It is shocking to find how easily the District Attorney George Gascón has been able to abuse his powers and use the San Francisco’s few selected yellow journalists to publish stories only from his vindictive point of view.
It is time to standup and join forces. Don’t let one family’s forced silence, poison our brains from questioning whether what we were led to believe in the media, is the only truth.
We as a community need to stand together against this corrupt official. Join the rally being sponsored by various local communities. There are many other minorities standing up to this tyrant District Attorney.
As I originally helped report about this injustice on Jus Punjabi TV, there is a Facebook page rally growing against this corrupt DA. The page now has over 100,000 supporters. Now, there is also an online petition on Change.org to remove George Gascón from the DA’s office. Join forces together and voice your discontentment against this injustice!
Gurbaksh’s next court date in San Francisco is scheduled to be held at 850 Bryant Street, Department 18 on April 22nd, 2016 at 9.00 A.M. and we will be there to show our community support. If you want to support him regarding these injustices, please feel free to call George Gascon himself to voice your concerns at +1 415-553–1741, as well.
After all, United We Stand!