How I use Cointracking.info to track 3 portfolios at the same time.
CoinTracking is awesome. But what if you want to divide your holdings into 3 portfolios, namely TRADING, HOLD, and ICOS ? Here is how I do it.
Disclaimer: I don’t know if it’s the best technique out there. It works but it has some annoying parts too.
- Add new accounts to CoinTracking. It’s possible with the same email adress, just change the name of your accounts. I called mine TOTAL, TRADING, HOLD, ICOS
- Join them together. You will find this option in Account Settings, at the bottom. Just link them together like a chain
- My APIS are connected to my TOTAL account. This is what I use to see my total situation, and the only account that is exactly accurate regarding fiat, profits and taxes. The other are mostly to keep track visually of the situation. Do NOT add your APIs to the other accounts.
- Enter manually what’s in your other portfolios. Use DEPOSIT to add coins/fiat. It’s a sort of snapshot of your portfolios starting from today
- Everytime you make a trade/investment, they will be imported in your TOTAL account via the APIs. What you need to do is to bring those changes to the corresponding portfolio. For this go to ENTER COINS -> OVERVIEW AND MANUAL IMPORTS and use smart filtering to nail down the operation you want to add in one of your portfolio. I usually use the name of the coin in the search field, and the date of the trade in the advanced search field. The trick here is to EXPORT the results using the export button, to a CSV file. Then go to your TRADING/HOLD/ICOS account and IMPORT that file into that account.
Example: Today I buy ENG for BTC on Binance (Trading portfolio), and some DBIX on Cryptopia (HOLD portfolio) In my total account I will export 2 CSV, one with the ENG and one with DBIX. I will import the first one in my TRADING account and the second one in my HOLD account. It sounds cumbersome and in a way it is but if you only make a few operations per week, it’s very powerful.
- Sometimes you want to transfer stuff from a portfolio to another. Example, I earned 1 BTC trading and I want to send it to my HOLD portfolio. Just WITHDRAW 1 BTC in your TRADING account, and DEPOSIT 1 BTC in your HOLD account.
- Last but not least, make frequent backups. In case you fuck it up when you’re not used to it. That’s it. I know that DeltaApp also manages several portfolios, but what is nice with this method is that you can have the same coin in different portfolios. In Delta, once you've moved one coin in a portfolio, it stays there.
For example you can hodl some of your ICX and trade the rest.
I hope that helps a little !