EDMA Journal Week 7
How To Set-up & Manage Mathematical Learning Experiences
- Guided maths groups — Teacher reaches to students in small groups and in different ways rather than one way to the whole class (Newton, 2013).
- Stage working. Reverse gradual release. Students begin to work individually, then in groups and then share with the class (Chamberlin, 2009). Students discover themselves before sharing with everyone.
- Group work. Adhering to Vygotsky, learning is done in a social context (Churchill, et al., 2015).
- Create a safe classroom environment for collaboration, learning, questioning and sharing knowledge (Chamberlin, 2009).
- Using visuals such as manipulative’s (Chamberlin, 2009). Catering to all students including visual/spatial learning students reflected in Gardner’s multiple intelligences (Churchill, et al., 2015).
- Less drill and practice (Chamberlin, 2009). The more memorisation, the more students will be disinterested (Simonson, 2011). Students must be actively engaged.
- Students being in charge of their own learning (Simonson, 2011). By presenting a problem, and students demonstrating how they would work it out gives a chance of autonomy rather than hand-led.
- Being well-prepared and knowing the content (Chamberlin, 2009). Without knowledge of the content, misconceptions arise and wrong content taught.
- Defining misconceptions early (Newton, 2013).
- Collaboration being open minded. Students understand mathematics by hearing different ways of thinking about a problem (Chamberlin, 2009). More open ended questions.
Chamberlin, M. (2009). Teachers’ Reflections on their Mathematical Learning Experiences in a Professional Development Course. Mathematics Teacher Education and Development, 11(1), 22–35. Retrieved from: http://search.informit.com.au.ezproxy2.acu.edu.au/fullText;dn=189129;res=AEIPT
Churchill, R., Godinho, S., Johnson, NF., Keddie, A., Letts, W., Lowe, K., … Vick, M. (2015). Teaching; Making a difference (3rd Edition). Milton. Queensland: Wiley.
Newton, N. (2013). Guided Math in Action: Building Each Student’s Mathematical Proficiency with Small-Group Instruction. Retrieved from: http://lib.myilibrary.com.ezproxy2.acu.edu.au/Open.aspx?id=510680
Simonson, S. (2011). Rediscovering Mathematics. Retrieved from: http://ebookcentral.proquest.com.ezproxy2.acu.edu.au/lib/acu/detail.action?docID=3330348