Recipe for #DalChawal
Dal Tadka & Peas Pulao
Yield: for 4
Prep time: 30 min
Total time: 60 minutes
Recipe video :https://www.facebook.com/MasalaDiaries/
- Split Pigeon peas (Toor Dal) : 1 cup
- Water to cook the dal : 2 cups for pressure cooker ,3 for pan
- Onion (Pyaz) spanish or brown: 1 large
- Tomatoes :2 chopped
- Ginger(Adrak): knob-grated
- Garlic (lahsun) : 2 cloves finely chopped
- Turmeric (Haldi)-powder: ½ tsp
- Juice of lime (Nimbu) as per taste
- Green chilli : 1
- Coriander to garnish
For tempering (Tadka)
- Oil- sunflower/canola/olive (Tel) or ghee : 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds (Rai): 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds (jeera) : 2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Heeng): a pinch
- Cinnamon(dalchini)): 1 stick
- Cardamom (elaichi) : 2–3
- Cloves (laung): 2–3
- Black peppercorns (optional): 2–3
- Bay leaf (Tezpatta): 1
- Garam Masala : 1 tsp
- Salt (Namak) to taste
- Wash & soak the dal depending on the mode of cooking(30 minutes soak if cooking in a pressure cooker and 2 hrs if cooking in a pan)
- Put the dal in a deep pan (with lid)or pressure cooker with double the water (2 cups),salt and turmeric.
- If using an Indian pressure cooker, it should cook after 2–3 whistles.
If cooking in a regular pan, it may take up to 30 minutes until it is cooked.
- Mash the cooked dal and add more water to adjust consistency , keep it on a low flame to simmer.
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan
- Add mustard seeds ,let it splutter
- Add cumin seeds and asfoetida
- Add whole spices - Cinnamon,clove,cardamom,bay leaf and peppercorns
- Add finely chopped onions
- Sauté for few minutes
- Add grated ginger and garlic
- Add chopped tomatoes
- Let the tomatoes cook and soften
- Add garam masala
- Stir and add the cooked dal
- Adjust salt
- Squeeze lime juice
- Bring it to a boil
- Garnish with coriander
Peas Pulao (Matar ka pulav)
- Basmati (I used India Gate ) rice : 1.5 cups
- Water for cooking the rice : 3 cups
- Salt to taste : 2 tsp
- Oil or Ghee : 1 tbsp
- Onion (spanish or Brown):1 large thinly sliced
- Ginger : 1 knob grated
- Peas (frozen or fresh): 1 cup
- Juice of 1 lime
- Coriander : to garnish
- Cumin seeds (Jeera): 1 tbsp
- Cardamom (elaichi):2–3
- Cloves (laung): 2–3
- Bay leaf (Tezpatta) : 1–2
- Black peppercorns: 4–5 optional
There are many ways to cook the rice- evaporation (in a covered pan ,I use this method),boiling(in an open pan), or using a pressure cooker, microwave or rice cooker.
- Wash the rice thoroughly
- Soak it for 15 minutes in water
- Heat oil/ghee in broad base pan
- Add cumin seeds and let them splutter
- Add whole spices :Cardamom,cinnamon,cloves,peppercorns,bay leaf
- Add sliced onions
- Let them brown
- Add grated ginger
- Add the washed and drained rice
- Coat it with onion spice mix well
- Add salt
- Mix it well
- Add 3 cups of water (for soaked rice: add 2.5 cups)
- Cover it with a lid and let it cook for 15–20 minutes
- Add frozen /fresh peas and gently stir it through
- Put the lid back and cook it for another 5–10 minutes
- Squeeze lemon juice and garnish with coriander
- Instead of pigeon peas (toor dal) any dal can be used — Moong dal whole or split,lentils,Bengal gram -and while the cooking time for each will vary the tempering will remain the same.
- Canned chick peas or red kidney beans can also be used,they do not need to be cooked for long.
- Temper with or without any of these-onion,tomato,ginger or garlic.
- To make it more wholesome add spinach,carrot and or pumpkin to the dal.
- Rice needs to be soaked for 15–20 minutes in the evaporation method or cooking in rice cooker. If you are boiling the rice no soaking is needed.
- To make vegetable pulao, once the onions are cooked chopped vegetables such as carrots , beans cauliflower can be added along with the rice. Cover the pan/cooker to steam and cook the rice & vegetables.
- To make it extra special-cashews,sultanas and saffron can be added to the pulao.
Read up #MasalaDairies curry excursion in search of a good North Indian Curry -Dal Chawal & more
(video courtesy: Eisha)