SEO has a smorgasbord of benefits for online businesses — be small or large. It is a great way to drive traffic and to your online store and convert into sales. Even business not selling online can hugely benefit to attract new customers and increase sales without paying for advertising. SEO is a boon for local small businesses who cannot afford big spend on the traditional methods of advertising.
According to HubSpot, 80% of a website’s traffic begins with a search query. The more traffic your website gets, the more opportunities you have to grow your sales. That is why search engine optimization (SEO) is the necessity for every business — be it large or small or whatever it does.
Every day, over 3.5 billion searches are made on Google alone. In the U.S., 78% of people search for products and services online before buying.
Studies tell 75% of users don’t even click past the first page. So it is vitally important to rank the first page of search results.
Once your website starts ranking on the first page, you will get more visibility. And which will result in more traffic? And more traffic means more conversations. Thus your sales will grow.
But getting in the first page is that simple. Staying on top of SEO takes a lot of research and experimentation.
As Google is constantly updating its ranking algorithm, you did not just need to learn the established nuts and bolts of SEO but also you should be updated with the latest of best practices, news, and trends.
Whether you are a freelance webmaster providing SEO services for online businesses or a startup struggling with revenue generation, you can increase your sales using these best SEO tactics that are proven to work.
Keywords are the very first most crucial element of SEO for e-commerce business. Without knowing the keywords that resonate with your business and that people are using to search your products or services, all of your efforts are futile.
Even if you rank on the first page, this might not help you with your goals.
Let us say you have an online business selling herbal skin care products. You need to rank on the first page for herbal skin care products because your business is not skin care products but herbal skin care products. So even if you rank for the skin care, your business will not get the much benefit as people are searching skin care products might not be interested in herbal products.
So for your SEO to yield much, you need to significantly invest in keyword research.
While it might be easy to come up with a list of 10–20 simple keywords for your products, you should use long-tail keywords — a better way to target your customers.
These are some best ways to quickly find long-tail keywords most relevant to your business.
· Create a list of basic keywords: A good to start is with the list of your products, product categories, and related terms. Make sure to build a separate list for each product such as beauty products, herbal beauty products, herbal skin moisturizer, herbal face wash, etc.
· Use a keyword planner tool: There are many tools such as Google keyword planner. If you have not an account, create the one using Google account. Now enter your keywords. Use one keyword at a time. This way, you can make a broader list of related search terms that might target the same customers.
If your keyword list is large, and you are not sure which you should use, there are tools like Moz and Ahrefs that will be providing useful insights into which keywords will be easier to rank for.
Technical Aspects of SEO
But there are some factors that ensure whether your site is ready for ranking. So before you start working on improvement you should look at these factors to make sure your website is ready to rank in the search results.
· Speed: How your site loads is not a just ranking factor but also it affects user experience. If it takes more than 3 seconds to load, it is more likely people will move away and click through other options. So check your site loading speed. If it is up to the mark, work on reducing loading time.
· HTTPS: If you are an online business, you might need to ask your customers to provide some information such as their name, address, credit card details in case of online payment. It is your responsibility to prevent the miss use of their data. Also, if your customers don’t feel safe and trust you, they will leave your site uprightly. So secure your site with HTTPS certificate.
· Simple URL: Wondering how URL can impact the website or page ranking? Yes, it can. An URL containing the name of your product or title of your blog helps Google and users understand what your page is about and rank it accordingly. So make sure the URL clearly describes the content of your page.
· Sitemap: It helps Google’s bots crawl your site efficiently. Actually, by creating a site map, you give Google the floor plan of your site. So your sitemap should include all pages on your site including products, categories, informational pages such as blogs, etc.
If your site is ready to rank, and you have come out with the list of keywords you should rank for, it is time for page optimization. On-page optimization is the key foundation of SEO and focuses on creating content that helps you rank in search engines.
To drive good results, you should pay great attention to these things that affect the ranking of a page.
· Keyword: Without keywords, all of your efforts is waste of time. But keyword stuffing is a bad practice. It affects the quality of your content. So you should carefully use only important keywords. Make sure to use important keywords in title and URL and long-tail keywords in product descriptions.
· Blog: It is a good idea to include a blog page on your website. This will allow you to address your customers’ queries and you can educate them about your products or services that can best solve their problems. For better results, keep your blog on the same sub-domain as your store.
· Usability: Google gives priority to users’ experience. And so it prefers the website that is user-friendly. Your site should be easy to navigate, quality content that solves the problems of your users has detailed product descriptions and user reviews, etc.
· Internal linking: In your blogs, it is a good idea to include links to posts that provide relevant information on the same products or services. Keep the relevancy in mind when creating internal links. This is a good way to increase engagement on your site and keep customers around longer, strengthen relationships, and have them buy from the site.
These are some of the SEO tactics that will work wonders to driving traffic and conversations. However, this will depend on your ability to employ these techniques. If you do not want to risk your investment and time, look for top SEO companies providing result oriented SEO services. If your budget is tight, check these leading SEO companies in India which offers a wide range of reasonably priced SEO services for small businesses.