2 Steps to create a positive Mindset
In the very popular book “The Little Prince” by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, the little prince pulls out bad roots that endanger the little planet he lives on and could even destroy it.
“It is a question of discipline….When you’ve finished your own toilet in the morning, then it is time to attend to the toilet of your planet, just so, with the greatest care. You must see to it that you pull up regularly all the baobabs, at the very first moment when they can be distinguished from the rose-bushes which they resemble so closely in their earliest youth…”
The book is not just a children’s book, there is a deeper meaning to pretty much everything.
The bad roots represent bad thoughts in our mind. In the book, they just seem to always pop up and grow for no apparent reason. So do bad thoughts. And if nothing is done about them, they are extremely dangerous to the point where the little prince could die.
The second thing this shows is this: The roots do not get pulled out automatically, they do not die after a certain amount of time or just stop growing. The little prince puts in conscious effort constantly to eliminate the roots and save his planet.
Ignoring negative thoughts does not make them go away. You must first realize that you have negative thoughts and in the second step consciously put in effort to eliminate them. This effort comes in two big categories.
Eliminate negative influences
While we often do not know where bad thoughts come from and they often just come to all of us naturally, negative influences can make them occur more often and more intensely.
You must be conscious about what information you consume.
- Choose what people surround you. People that are positive and uplifting and make you better in some way. Eliminate bad people from your life. You most likely already know who they are, you are just scared to hurt their feelings. But you should understand that your mental well-being is more important, there is just no space for negative people. As they say: You are the sum of the 5 closest people around you. So make an effort to improve that sum as much as possible.
- Also, choose what information you consume. Do not just watch or read whatever is currently available and right in front of you. Understand that taking in negative information every day can harm you and wreck your mentality. Make an effort to choose information that is positive, inspiring and makes you smarter.
- Stop watching whatever is on TV. Chances are, it is not positive information and you just keep watching because it is easy.
- Clean up your feeds on social media. Are there sources of information on Facebook, YouTube and Instagram that just annoy you and bring no value? Cancel them, unsubscribe. It will declutter the information and makes social media less toxic. Make your social media a channel for positive information and inspiration.
Consciously wipe out bad thoughts
Just like the little prince pulls out the bad roots, you have to consciously wipe out bad thoughts.
Bad thoughts could be you comparing yourself to or judging others, slandering, talking down on others, having self-doubts and being annoyed at nothing. You control your thoughts. First realize you are thinking a bad thought, then stop yourself from thinking this way.
- Breathe deeply and calm yourself down. Think of something else that is positive.
- Talking negatively about others seems normal and fun because everyone does it. But it harms not only them but also yourself because you allow your mind to think negatively.
Do not let your thoughts run wild, kill bad thoughts and nourish the good ones and you will have a healthy and positive mind.
Bad thoughts are something you can control because you control all your thoughts. Being angry at something is then not a natural reaction but a choice to not stop that thought.
This is not a cure for depression, but it helps people become more positive if they choose to do so and are willing to put in the work and effort.
If you choose to be more positive and have a healthy mind, do those two things and follow the practical advice. It takes time and is not easy, because you had your mindset for years.
Read similar stories at MentalUpbeat.com, also please consider clicking the heart below if you enjoyed this post!