How Facebook’s Algorithm Works
As we all know, Facebook is always changing the way their algorithm works. We also know Facebook is the #1 social media platform around, with over 1.71 billion monthly active users. That number tells you that it is very critical for businesses to be on Facebook.
If you are unsure what Facebook’s algorithm shows, it shows the most relevant and high-quality stories in every user’s news feed at any given time. It is different for everyone based on how Facebook’s algorithm.
Here is how Facebook chooses what to show in your news feed:
New Feed Visibility = I x P x C x T x R
I = Interest — what is your interest in the person or page sharing
P = Post — the performance of someone’s post with other users
C = Creator — performance of past posts by the content creator with other users
T = Type — type of posts you prefer to see (status updates, photos, links, etc.)
R = Recency — how new is the post
To put in simple terms, how recently was the post published, the number of likes, comments, shares on the post, how often has the user interacted with the page previously, and past viewer engagement with the same type of post.
Photo found on Do Not Track
What is the goal of your Facebook News Feed?
It is to deliver the right content to the right people at the right time so they don’t miss the most important information.
Here are some great ideas that may help you show up in your audience’s news feed:
- Make your posts personal — show there is a human being behind your brand. If you are a private person, I get that, because I am. But it’s ok to share family photo’s every so often, especially if something exciting is happening. Take advantage of the holidays, such as Father’s Day — show a picture of your kids with their father. Remember, you are trying to build the KNOW, LIKE, & TRUST — build the relationship with your followers.
- Share videos — they are HUGE on Facebook. Do a short 5-minute video on a tip related to your industry. Videos that are uploaded directly to Facebook get a lot of organic reach = FREE REACH. Who doesn’t LOVE FREE 😊
- Take advantage of Facebook Live — not only can you do it from your phone, you can do it from your laptops and desktops — as long as you have a webcam. Along with videos getting priority in news feeds, so are Facebook Live posts. You can do Facebook Live on your personal profile, business page, Groups, and Events.
- Share animated GIFS — an animated GIF is a graphic image that moves. To make them work on Facebook, you have to copy and paste the URL of the animated GIF into Facebook’s status box. You can find animated GIFS on giphy.com, www.animatedgif.net, or www.gifs.net.
- Have a theme for each day — such as #MondayMotivation — people will share quotes that motivate and inspire. These usually are liked & shared as well as receive comments. You never know who you may inspire, especially with all of the negativity in the world.
- Make people laugh — share stories or images that will bring a smile to someone’s face and make them laugh. TIP: use photos of kids and animals. How can you not smile and laugh at those types of images?
- Share your blog — Facebook may give more organic reach to content. By sharing your blog, you will be driving people to your website — people will then explore your website, see what you offer, how you can help them and learn more about you. TIP: don’t just share the link — write something that will get people’s attention, because remember, people scroll through their news feed fast. Here’s what I do — share something about the blog post, post the link, delete the preview Facebook grabs, upload a custom graphic I created. Not sure what size to make your graphics, click here for a cheat sheet.
- Ask questions — this will get the engagement needed to bump your post in your follower’s news feed. People LOVE to answer questions and to help solve a problem. Here are some great examples: “What would you do if….”, “I am looking for your feedback on….”, “What advice would you give someone struggling with….”. You can also have some fun with your questions: “Coffee or tea?”, “Book or tablet?”, “Morning or night owl?”
- Take advantage of the holidays — share a holiday picture of you and your family, share a quote or some sort of greeting, do a Facebook Live from the celebration, etc.
- Show some LOVE to your customers — if you have a product, share a picture of your customer with your product. If you offer a service, share a quote your customer said (take it from a testimonial). By doing this, you are showcasing your product or service. You are showing positive reviews to your followers or visitors to your page. You never know who might buy from you if they see a great testimonial from your clients.
- Share exclusive offers to your Facebook fans — it can be a discount, a giveaway, or anything special that is just for them. TIP: create an image to promote your offer because it will grab someone’s attention as they are scrolling through their news feed.
I hope these suggestions help in order to increase engagement on your Facebook Business Page. By increasing engagement, you will have an easier time showing up in your fan’s News Feed.
In my next blog post, I am going to talk about sharing to social media at the right time.
Until then, Keep Calm & Love Social Media!
Originally published at Savvy Social Media with Michelle Arbore.