Preserve Middletown Earth Week Expo
Saturday April 29, 2023 at Paradise Valley Park
Free Event 10am-2pm (ran date April 30, 2023)
Enjoy the beauty of Paradise Valley Park while meeting volunteers from the Middletown Historical Society, Tree Commission, Conservation Commission, and Open Space & Fields Committee.
Learn about their work and how you can help preserve Middletown’s natural and historical heritage.
ALL DAY EVENTS & ACTIVITIES
- Windmill and school house open for visitors
- Crafts for kids: Plant a sunflower or bean plant; make a model windmill; create a picture for the “Preserve Middletown” bulletin board
- Scavenger hunt: Follow the clues around the park to answer all the questions, then turn in your completed form to receive a prize. Prizes include Middletown RI merchandise (shopping bag or string backpack) or a Frosty Freez gift certificate for a kiddie cone with topping,
- Sneaker recycling: The Cub Scouts will be collecting old sneakers for recycling. Clean out your closet and give your old sneakers new life!
- Waste-sorting game: Do you know how to recycle right? Test your skills with RI Resource Recovery.
- Compost Info: Curious about composting? Learn how easy and beneficial it is with Clean Ocean Access.
- Invasive Plant management: Learn how to identify and take steps to control invasive Japanese Knotweed
- Raffle: Prizes include a Middletown resident’s beach pass and a family pass to the Norman Bird Sanctuary
SCHEDULED EVENT TIMES
- 10:00am — Event Open
- 11:00am — Birdwalk with Jay Manning
- 12:00noon — Tree Planting by Karen Barbera
- 1:00pm — Tree walk with Karen Barbera
- 2:00pm — Raffle drawings and close of event
➢ Bring your old sneakers to be recycled and raise money for Middletown Cub Scouts!
➢ Get answers to your gardening and recycling questions from URI Master Gardeners and RI Resource Recovery.
➢ Activities include tours of the historic windmill and schoolhouse, tree walk, bird walk, tree planting, scavenger hunt, and crafts for kids.
➢ Raffle prizes include a Middletown resident’s beach pass and a family pass to the Norman Bird Sanctuary.
➢ Parking is limited so please walk, bike, or ride share if you can.
➢ Free and open to all!
Paradise Valley Park in Middletown, Rhode Island