Duncan Murray, Duncan Murray Wines
Our award-winning independent wine merchant in Market Harborough.
- How long have you been established? Since December 2001.
2. How did you start out in the drinks business? A college trip to France in 1989 visiting the Loire, Cognac and Bordeaux ignited the fire and then I started out as a Christmas fairy in Oddbins in Cambridge.
3. What do you love about your job? The variety of tasks from tasting products to putting the lucky chosen few on the shelves to recommending them to customers to getting super feedback from them. A lot of my job these days is spent sitting in the office working on the computer but I much prefer dealing with customers face to face and I love stocking the shelves and making them look good. This job is good if you like activity whether it be unloading a pallet from a French lorry to exercising your drinking arm in a wine tasting!
4. What is your favourite tipple and who would you most like to share it with? It depends on a huge variety of things; who I’m with, what we’re eating, what time of day it is, where we are, the weather….there are so many tasty drinkies that I can’t limit myself to just one.
5. What do the people of Market Harborough come in and buy? A bit of everything it has to be said. Our customers are broad minded and we have an eclectic range. That said, Gin is huge. Some Saturdays it can amount to 30% of our sales in spite of it being a mere 25th of the shop shelves!
6. What can we look forward to in the coming months? Free Saturday Tastings 12–3pm all year round. Gorgeous Greeks Wine Masterclass with Mary and Polys Pateras — Thurs 8th June Tour de France Wine Masterclass — Thurs 6th July (no lycra required!).