Farming gives work to 19% of world’s population: that’s 1.3 billion people!
Modern farming helps maintain a thriving global economy. A recent infographic posted by the Crop Life International organisation based in Brussels in Belgium highlights the role that agriculture, farming and plant science innovations play:
- Farming gives work to 19% of the world’s population — that’s 1.3 billion people!
- In developing countries agriculture employs more people than any other industry, especially in Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Women comprise an average of almost half the agricultural labour force in developing countries.
- Developing countries rely on agriculture for a larger portion of their GDP — in some cases that’s 19%.
- The global value of agriculture is worth $2.4 trillion (€2.1 trillion).
You can access the full infographic here.