Finally submitted!

Yesterday, I was able to submit my TangramsVR game to the Oculus store. Yeay! While I’m sure there will be a couple of things that I’ll need to fix, I’m pretty happy with how the game is progressing so far. Here’s what I needed to do to get it published.

Spend lots of time on artwork!

I heard that figuring out the artwork for the store listing was going to take a lot of time, but I didn’t really believe it. I had taken several screenshots and numerous videos for when I submitted it for Udacity’s capstone for the VR nanodegree. I thought I was good to go. I ended up spending several hours editing the screenshots and logos to make it look more polished and professional.

After devoting a significant portion of the day yesterday, I am pretty proud of how things turned out. The image above uses three screenshots and the logo in various layers. I am hoping that when I am able to put the app on Steam, that I can reuse some of these same images and art.

Oculus’s Entitlement Check

When I attempted to submit, I got a notification about the entitlement check. I guess this shouldn’t have surprised me. Here’s a link to some more documentation on it. The implementation is pretty easy. Since my app supports both Vive and Oculus, I just added the check when I check the headset.

Since the documentation suggested handling the situation more gracefully than just quitting the app, I added a separate scene. I added my tangrams logo, a message for the user, and after about 8 seconds, the application will quit on its own.

The actual upload…

To upload to the store, you’ll want to zip both your data folder and build exe file into a zipped folder. You’ll only be able to upload one folder to the store, so you’ll upload the zipped folder (which has both the exe and data folder).

Since I am supporting Vive and Oculus, I’m using SteamVR. Apparently, there’s an issue where parts of it conflict with Oculus’s validation process. I kept getting this error.

I initially tried to research a way to get around it. Some people suggested that I get rid of SteamVR entirely for my Oculus build. However, I found that if I just deleted the offending file, I was still able to run the game just fine and I was able to get it submitted to the store. Yay! A relatively easy fix than simply removing all the SteamVR stuff.

Overall, I thought the process was relatively easy. Time consuming, but easy. I’m sure that there’s something that I don’t know yet, but I’m looking forward to seeing what happens with my submission. :)